Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aklinda

Clematis recommendation needed for intense sun area

aklinda
12 years ago

I am looking for a recommendation for a clematis for this situation. I just built a branch arbor to go over the gate in my chain link fence. On each side of the arbor I have planted what I thought were both climbing iceberg roses. One actually is a climber but the other is actually the shrub so I want to plant a clematis with the shrub so something will be climbing up both sides of the arbor. The roses are well established and were planted a couple of years ago. I am in zone 7b in New Mexico and the area I am describing has full blazing New Mexico sun ALL day. The soil (and I use that term loosely) has lots of sand and gravel. I top dress with compost and mulch about 4 inches with bark mulch and give supplemental water. The rest of my garden is predominantly pinks, purples and white so pink or purple would be my color preference. The arbor is about 9 feet tall at the peak so something that would grow that tall would be my preference. I appreciate any and all input and thank you in advance.

Comments (5)