Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljlatin03

Pink Clematis

ljlatin03
15 years ago

I am planning to add clematis number 23 to my garden. I would like to know what is the difference in color between "Prince Charles" and "Viticella Solina"

every picture I have seen on line the color is prety much the same. Can anyone tell me something about Margot koster.

Comments (10)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

To me both are similar but I would not classify them as pink. Of the two, Solina has more of a pinkish undertone coloration than does Prince Charles which has more blue to it. Margot Koster is a viticella that has gappy rosy pink sepals that have some purple to them. Of the three, Margot Koster comes closer to pink than any of the three but is darker than a true pink. Try Asao or Hagley Hybrid if you want pink and don't have them, although Hagley Hybrid can bleach out very easily if given hot afternoon sun.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

To me, Prince Charles is rather blue, then comes Solina as a muddy mauve (I mean this in a good way), and M. Koster is a vibrant pink/mauve. Solina has larger flowers as well.

Miguel has given you my favorite pink, Hagley Hybrid, which is a great one but does bleach out in full sun. Another similar type 3 is Pink Fantasy, and Comtesse du. Bouchaud has larger mauve flowers.

If you want true pink, go with HH or PF. For mauve-like pink, C. d. B. or Solina. PC is way into the blue-purple spectrum. His suggestion of Asao is a great type 2 variety, but blooms very early. I think it's one of my first to bloom.

• ljlatin03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would like to hear from people that own Margot Koster. How big is the flower/ Thanks

• Mickie Marquis
    15 years ago

Hi! I have 200?+ clematis in my garden. Margot Koster is in my top ten favorites.

She is mediumish; the size of a 5 year old's hand but gappy. (5" or more) Large for a viticella, definitly smaller than a LFH. She is a raspberry color; not quite fuschia. She blooms from the second week in May until the end of June for me and then sporadically the rest of the year. I have 3 and there are only a few I repeat in the garden (Rogucci, Jackmanii Superba, Multi-blue, Josephine, Marmori).

Hagley Hybrid was my favorite soft pink hybrid for many years. Then I met Marmori. She is an Estonian cultivar, so very cold hardy. She is a soft shell pink, thick texture, has charming reflexed tepals and starts blooming the early part of May and blooms the rest of the season; usually full sail.

Good luck with your pinks. Hope this helps.

• ljlatin03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you organicmickie. I will check on line to see if I can locate a picture of Marmori. Hopefully will see a picture. If you have to choose between M. Koster and Marmori which one would be you pick. Where did you get them from. Thaks for your help.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Ah, the pink clematises; my favorites. M. Koster will be a larger, more vigorous plant with more blooms, but was described well in its color. Marmori and Hagley Hybrid are true, light pinks. I would guess Joy Creek, Silver Star Vinery and Brushwood have all of them. You can see pictures at the Hull Database.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hull Database

• ljlatin03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did check both plants. I think I will get M. Koster. Thanks for your help.

• ljlatin03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone have order Clematis from Hummingbird Farm?

• Mickie Marquis
    15 years ago

I think I will plant a Margot Koster with a Marmoori. THat will make Margot #4 and Marmoori # 2. They will be lovely together. But where....

I have ordered from Hummingbird Farms. They have a limited online selection but wanted to hear my requests so they might be able to accomodate my 'needs'. They were awesome to deal with and have a great website and send a nice cheerful & informative e-newsltter. I will definitely order from them again. The plants I got from them were LARGE and healthy.

~Mickie

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Someone else mentioned Hummingbird Farms to me but when I went to their site, it appears that the site is closed for the winter. I never did see where they did mailorder or is it just this way now for the winter and they do mailorder once the season opens???

I thought I was bad Organicmickie but I don't have 4 of any one clematis!! No wonder you are wondering where to put them. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Farms