Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help find an Obelisk for Clematis

Posted by krismaria31 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 19:31

I been searching high and low for an Obelisk/Pyramid Trellis for my Clematis. Does anyone know or point me in the right direction where I could purchase one? I would prefer the obelisk to be 6 to 8 feet tall. I do not have a preference on material type. I just need something before spring gets here, which is right around the corner. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help find an Obelisk for Clematis

I just saw an old post yesterday where i asked someone, maybe Jeanne? where she got her obelesk and how tall it was. She said it was from Gardeners supply and it was 7' tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardeners supply

o

Check your local nurseries, though they can be quite expensive there.

o

Have you tried searching online for plans to build wooden obelisks/tuteurs? They are pretty darn easy to construct out of relatively inexpensive lumber pieces with only basic tools required. Sounds like a reasonable winter project to me :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: obelisks and tuteurs

o

When I googled

garden obelisk 6' 7' 8'

a bunch of options cropped up.

If you don't need something that formal and you are a bit handy, it isn't difficult to make metal obelisks with a rustic flavor (they end up with a rusted finish.) I use 4 3/8" diameter steel rods in the range of 8 - 10 ft. so that there is plenty of leg to push into the ground, cutting to length with a hack saw. (You could also use rebar, which I think is half inch diameter and you could probably get cut to length at the hardware or big box store.) The rod tops can be fastened together with a hose clamp (or I often use the wire that is used for fastening concrete reinforcing), and some type of an ornament can be put over that to hide it if you'd like. Plant the rods into the ground to form the obelisk shape, and then I usually spiral 1 or 2 wires evenly around the structure from the bottom up to the top. You could also fasten wire mesh panels onto the obelisk sides for the clematis to cling to.

There are also plans on the web for do-it-yourself copper obelisks made from basic plumbing supplies, though I think that the current price of copper has made those much more expensive. Electrical conduit is a less expensive alternative that could be painted or left silver colored.

o

My DH has made a number of copper obelisks and trellises for my roses, but they might not be fine enough for clematis to wind around. I use much thinner structures for clematis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here