Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Pruning Clematis that have No ID!

jardineratx
15 years ago

Well, I have several clematis vines with no identification, so pruning has become a problem for me in that I don't know which ones are type 1, 2 or 3. What do I do about pruning? BTW, all of these vines are young and have not bloomed.

Thanks,

Molly

Comments (4)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

If the clematis are still young, then it is best to treat them as type IIIs so that their root systems can get established before they start having to support flower growth and so that they will be more likely to throw out new shoots from the base. This is true for all clematis regardless of pruning group and is advised for at least the first year they are in the ground if not for the first couple of years. When the clematis do flower, post pictures and someone can probably help you identify them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

In addition to posting photos, you can also note when each blooms as well. Although not always a sure-fire guaranteed way of identifying which pruning group the vines belong to, it can be an aid. Early blooming (spring) clematis tend to belong to Group 1 (bloom before May), May and June blooming clematis tend to belong to Group 2 and those that bloom in mid summer and later tend to be Group 3.

And since you are in such a warm zone, going forward you may want to streamline your pruning chores by treating 2's and 3's the same. Other than my Group 1's (no pruning required), which only get pruned if they get too large and out of control, I prune all my other vines as if they were Group 3's. In mild climates with long growing seasons, all this does is delay the flowering period on Group 2's slightly. And it sure makes life easier if you have a lot of vines to deal with!

But by all means for this season (and maybe the next) go ahead and follow Miguel's advice to hard prune them....this practice applies to all pruning groups for young, not yet well-established plants.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate the advice and information provided by both of you! Except for one vine (General Sikorski), they are all only 1 or 2 years old, so I will prune them hard. I also believe that I will continue to treat them all the same and prune each spring. I have about approximately 35 vines, many of which were acquired on clearance summer before last at Lowes. Most of them have been planted to grow with my roses, so pruning the rose and the clematis at the same time will make my life much easier for sure.
    thank you again
    Molly

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Yes, pruning the roses and clematis at the same time will be easier and it won't hurt the clematis at all.