Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing Clematis???

Posted by j4ck 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 19:42

This is for the clematis growers, is it worth growing them from seeds at all for immediate impact and bloom, or is it just better to buy the plant in the spring?

I need recommendations for a fast grower, scented, colourful variety. Also I need a rose of a similar quality to combine with this.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing Clematis???

You'll be limited on which ones are scented but for fast growing you will want to buy the plant..starting from seed is slow and clematis plants themselves don't come into their own until year 3..so you can imagine how much longer you'll have any impact with starting from seeds..You can never go wrong with the Viticella group/ Pruning group s..they are vigorous and floriferious..you can go to COTW and on the search page click on pruning group scroll with arrow to pruning group 3/hard prune and then in Tepal Color type in the color you want and after clicking on search now you'll find tons to chose from...some I would recommend..dark purple.."Polish Spirit", lilac "Betty Corning" Hot pinkish red "Avant-Garde" darkish purple "Etoile Violette" red "Madame Julia Correvon" dark Purplish "Perrin's Pride" lilac "Solina" one of my favourites is "Venosa Violacea" Dark double "Purplea Plens Elegans" "Ashva" I love "Contesse de Bouchard"..she is a pink...as far as roses..there are tons to choose from ..what is your favourite color??..

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis List Search

o

Betty Corning is a very fast grower and is fragrant. I have mine growing with Buff Beauty. I'm not sure what roses are hardy in your zone.

Carol

o

The tangutica grouping also grows very fast and high. I have Radar Love that in 3 years from seed grew to a fantastic height of 35 feet and at least 8 feet wide. It is a profuse fall flowering type. Unfortunately no fragrance.

With a fast growing clematis you will want a vigorous rose to compete with it.

I have to agree with Etoile Voilet and Polish Spirit, Markham's Pink, Blue Dancer for speed of growth, also Rubromarginata was quick with an unusual flower. I have them interplanted with Don Juan climbing rose which has incredible scent and color, dark rich red! No scent that I have detected although I don't think it ever occured to me to smell them all. :) I'll get my son right on that in the blooming season here. :)

I am in zone 5b southern Ontario. These are all very hardy here.

Ah yes, taking a mental tour through my dormant garden reminds me that my scented Terniflora would be nice with a vigorous climbing rose, Keep in mind that it is fall flowering. I have a butterfly bush planted across the path from it. Sitting on the front porch when they are in bloom is a dream!

Photobucket

After having seen the post on Gravayete Beauty I think I will plant one of those climbing roses I acquired from a client at the bottom of this clematis. It should be stunning. But of course which color rose? I got 7 of them from red all the way to white. What a choice!!
Dana

o

If you want a fragrant tangutica, consider growing the cultivar called 'Helios'. It is fragrant and smells like coconut.

o

In your zone, the rose selection will be harder than the clem choice. Many of the most popular climbing roses will die back to the ground in zone 5. You need to find one of the hardier ones or your experience will be less than perfect.

I grow Betty Corning with my climbing Westerland rose. Westerland is only marginally hardy in zone 5.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here