Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fingersoup

Combining Clematis and Veilchenblau

fingersoup
13 years ago

Your opinion on using this combo.

I have asked in a different part of this forum and it was suggested that I would have better luck in here so,

I've got a Veilchenblau and C. viticella 'Polish Spirit' ordered for this spring and I'm planing on training them up my front porch (climbing the front left vertical beam of the porch in the picture to spread over the railings and eventually flow back to the ground.)

Originally I was over-worried with the saying "feet in the shade and head in the sun" and so I was planing to plant them behind the vertical support beam for shade but a fellow forum reader suggested that it isn't THAT vital as long as I use some mulch and regular watering to get them established.. can anyone second that?

I'm picking this combo because I think the color will go well with the house (bonus: my gf loves purple) and so that I'll get blooms in the spring throughout the summer. When one is not blooming, the other will be.

My question to you is,

Can anyone foresee any problems arising from this combo except the obvious mangled mess when pruning? Has anyone mixed ramblers/climbers and vines together with success?

Here is where they are going...
{{gwi:7790}}From Front Porch

{{gwi:7791}}From Front Porch

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm