Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inderoo

ID help!

inderoo
12 years ago

Hello everyone! I moved into a townhome last year with a very forgotten clematis growing next to the front door. It bloomed which will definitely help with ID, but I'm wondering what kind of pruning I should do.. I've left all the growth from the past year, and it is currently putting new sprouts out on the vines that grew last year. Does this make it a group 1 type of pruning? Also, if it matters, I live in zone 7, and we've had a very mild winter this season.. From googling, it looks like a Henryi, but I'm not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated! Here's the photo...

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c1c40f96ea&view=att&th=1352c87844cff42f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1392395632079011840-1&safe=1&zw

Comments (7)

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

Hi inderoo,
    I was not able to see the photo, but from what you have described you most likely have a type 2 or 3 clematis. If have a type 2 and prune it hard, you will only delay the blooms, but it will not hurt it. In fact, clematis really seem to benefit from hard pruning as it encourages more vines and will not be so leggy. Another method is to cut back half the canes and this will help extend the bloom season. The best time to prune is at the first sign of life in your clematis in the early spring, so go ahead and prune now.

Here are some instructions, I found here about posting photos, that may help you:

1. Copy the URL of the picture from your online photo album (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.) by right-clicking on the photo and selecting "Properties" from the menu, the highlighting the URL and hitting Ctrl-C
    2. Paste the URL into your message by placing your cursor in the message box and hitting Ctrl-V
    3. In front of the URL, type a less-than sign:
    then immediately after the less-than sign, type:
    img src=
    then add a space after the equal sign and then a set of quotation marks before and a set immediately after the URL
    (Sorry, I can't type it here because you'd just see a "broken image" icon and not the actual coding.)
    You should be able to preview the message and see the picture in your post.
    If this doesn't work, make sure you don't have any stray spaces and that you do have the correct characters as shown above (ie, the Hope this helps.

• inderoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright! I found a way to get a link to the picture
    http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p522/inderoo/Snapbucket/92F717BC-orig.jpg

Still pruning type 2 or 3?

• bob414
    12 years ago

It's a type 2 but I don't know which one. As pmermakov said it won't hurt to prune it all the way back and will only delay the bloom. I don't know your zone so can't guess at the length of your growing season but after my type 2's finish blooming I prune them all the way back and get a full second flush of bloom. After the second flush I only prune dead vines - in other words the type 2 pruning. That way I get the early bloom and the second flush later.

• inderoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Zone 7

• bob414
    12 years ago

My method might work for you. Even if you didn't get the second flush it wouldn't hurt the plant and you would get the early bloom the following year.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

It is a II but won't hurt it to prune as a III, it is easier

• inderoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help everybody!!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!