Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treetoronto3

Clematis Identification and help

treetoronto3
10 years ago

Hello, can you please help me identify this clematis. Bought it many years ago(10-12 yrs), with a tag that said "assorted clematis" It grows massive. Cover a 12 ft wide by 6 ft tall area of my fence. If the fence was taller, it would keep growing. I would like to purchase more of them. I would also like to know if you think I could transplant it early spring, while still dormant.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

It's a C. texensis hybrid, perhaps Duchess of Albany. It doesn't look quite dark enough to be Princess Diana.

If you go to the link below, the fifth category is a drop-down menu for Group. Choose texensis and it will give you a list of ones in this group having a general shape like yours. Click on the names and you will get photos and other info about each kind. Keep in mind that some colors are difficult to photograph accurately, but this may give you some other possibilities. Not all types will be available commercially in the US.

Alternatively, clematis are fairly easy to reproduce with layering, and that would give you clones of your current plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search page

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    10 years ago

I think it's one of the texensis varieties like Duchess of Albany or Princess Diana, and although I've never moved one of them, I have moved enough other clems that I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

• treetoronto3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THank! Looking forward to layer it and distribute among my garden!