Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Identification and help

Posted by treetoronto Toronto (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 22:26

Hello, can you please help me identify this clematis. Bought it many years ago(10-12 yrs), with a tag that said "assorted clematis" It grows massive. Cover a 12 ft wide by 6 ft tall area of my fence. If the fence was taller, it would keep growing. I would like to purchase more of them. I would also like to know if you think I could transplant it early spring, while still dormant.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Identification and help

It's a C. texensis hybrid, perhaps Duchess of Albany. It doesn't look quite dark enough to be Princess Diana.

If you go to the link below, the fifth category is a drop-down menu for Group. Choose texensis and it will give you a list of ones in this group having a general shape like yours. Click on the names and you will get photos and other info about each kind. Keep in mind that some colors are difficult to photograph accurately, but this may give you some other possibilities. Not all types will be available commercially in the US.

Alternatively, clematis are fairly easy to reproduce with layering, and that would give you clones of your current plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search page

o

I think it's one of the texensis varieties like Duchess of Albany or Princess Diana, and although I've never moved one of them, I have moved enough other clems that I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

o

THank! Looking forward to layer it and distribute among my garden!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here