Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning clematis growing into fruit trees?

Posted by cweathersby NE TX 7b/8a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 2:41

I've got lots and lots of clematis, all group 3s. They are mostly under 3 years old. I know I should hard prune them every year... though I haven't actually done it till this year. I plan to hard prune them tomorrow then fertilize. My question though is about the clematis I grow in my fruit trees. I'm scared to prune them down because what if they have a hard time climbing back up into the trees? At least 1 of them has never climbed in the tree yet. Should I leave them tall enough to reach the 1st branch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning clematis growing into fruit trees?

If you do leave enough of the lower stems unpruned so the vines can reach the 1st branches in the trees, then over time the lower portions of the vines left unpruned with get brown and thick with little to no leaves on them. If that is okay with you, you can do as you say. If not, then you need to prune them back closer to the ground.

Another option to get the vines into the trees is to use some sort of bamboo stick or similar item that you will put into the ground near the clematis and oriented towards the branches of the trees and the clematis can climb that into the tree.

Just realize any clematis planted near a tree is going to need supplemental water and fertilizer since the trees will be competing with the clematis for both items.

o
RE: Pruning clematis growing into fruit trees?

It's amazing what can happen in your garden over time without you realizing it. I'm not a clematis fanatic. Don't collect, don't plan where to put what, don't water, prune, or fertilize them. Just plant and forget. While pruning I counted and I found 29! There are others that I KNOW are there but can't find. And there are lots of other places where I need them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here