Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Fertilization of Clematis

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 6:23

I am 2 hours NE of Houston and we seem to be having an early spring [that can change...this IS Texas!]. I am wondering if I should be fertilizing my clematis now? I have horses, so have plenty of composted manure and grow roses so have several different kinds of rose food, including Mills Magic Rose Mix, which is an organic food that can be sprinkled around the plants - has alfalfa, fish meal, etc. I am just getting started with clematis and not sure how to fertilize. Thanks!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Fertilization of Clematis

Either or both would be good. I don't fertilize until after I am done pruning. I'm part way through all the pruning now. I use alfalfa pellets and sometimes Rose-Tone. Organic is good. I've been really impressed with the results using alfalfa. No wonder my horse loves it. ;)

o

I am done pruning. We are having what seems to be an early spring - temps in the 60s and plenty of rain, so thought it might be good to get some fertilizer down, if it was OK to do so. Will do a bit of both - the Mills is really good stuff, roses love it so the clematis should too. I always want to get started too early, and wanted to make sure it wouldnt be a bad thing to start fertilizing now. The Mills Magic Rose Mix is all organic.

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 11:40

I too am done prunning all but one of mine, I added farm aged cow poop to mine. Buds are swelling up and I'm so ready for spring and flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here