Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare root clematis from Hallson Gardens?

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 9:50

Hi all,

I know that those pathetic bare root clematis sold in box stores are frowned upon, but has anybody tried the bare root clematis sold by Hallson Gardens in Michigan? They currently offer 'Rooguchi' and 'Durandii' for spring.

I have ordered other bare root perennials from them last year and they have been HUGE. When they say 3rd year plants, they mean it. Everything has been very healthy too and nothing has arrived dried out or moldy. (I have no ties to the company, just a happy customer.)

In any case, my question is if all bare root clematis are a no-no, or if bare roots that (in theory, at least) are large and fresh would stand a chance of doing well? Would you guys grow these on in a pot first or plant them directly in the garden?

I am looking for varieties to plant among my mixed perennial/rose beds which will be vigorous and floriferous without smothering the other plants. I thought 'Rooguchi' and 'Durandii' looked perfect! :-)

I have a spring order pending from Brushwood as well.

Thanks in advance for any comments or input,
Ispahan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare root clematis from Hallson Gardens?

I've never ordered a clematis from Chris but I've gotten many other things from him. He is a very pleasant man with a lot of patience. You could just call or email Hallson's and they would be quiet helpful explaining the size to you. My experience with ordering clematis goes like this. Silver Star Vinery has by far the largest mail order clematis out there. Brushwood nursery's clematis are very nice indeed. Everyone else I have ordered from I was afraid to sleep at night for fear they would perish before I woke up. If Chris's clems are three year clematis they should have a good root system and be good to plant. Good luck Pat

o

Pattyw5, thank you so much for your input! I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered both 'Rooguchi' and 'Durandii' from Hallson's. I am sure they will be nice even if the barerooting process sets them back a bit.

I also have some clematis coming from Brushwood and Silver Star so I will have a lot to compare them to, even if it is like comparing apples to oranges! :-)

Thanks again,
Ispahan

o

Just saw this: I haven't ordered clematis from Chris yet but have total confidence in him because of my experiences with his hostas! I've been to his nursery and can vouch for his honesty. I've never been disappointed with his hostas, and can't imagine that his clematis would be any different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here