Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Which Clematis Are You Looking Forward To?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Which clematis are you looking forward to getting or looking forward to blooms this year? For me, it's my sweet autumn clematis :). My neighbor bought one for me last October and I planted it by this little wooden covered porch (not attached to the house), where I put my houseplants outside. Looking forward to that famous vanilla fragrance.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• chills71
    13 years ago

Asao is generally my first bloomer and its position in my yard just demands attention. I always look forward to seeing it.

I'm LOOKing for a Vienetta, but can't seem to find one..... That would be one I don't already have that I'm looking forward to seeing this year.

~Chills

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to purchasing Huldine to plant with my jackmanii. And maybe one or two more of a different kind to go with my Polka climbing roses. But what I'm really looking forward too is warmer temperatures and more sunshine. lol

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to the spring arrival of 'Blue River'. Other clematis I hope to later obtain are 'Forever Friends' and 'Fairy Dust'. I'm also really anxious to see many of my seedlings come into bloom, it should be an exciting year in that regard.

Here's a seedling that had flowered for the first time last summer.

{{gwi:575113}}

Chills, 'Vienetta' is really nice, here's my plant.

{{gwi:575115}}

Terrance

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Brad, I saw pictures of your purple clematis and it was very pretty and looked very healthy and lush. Do you have room for the Sweet Autumn clematis? That is a very vigorous grower and takes up a lot of room. If you don't already have that one, you might want to consider how much space it takes up and maybe chose another variety. I love that one too but it wouldn't work here in my space.

Terrance, never seen that Vienetta variety before and it's interesting and very pretty. What group is it in, as far as prunning requirements?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Pippi21 ... 'Vienetta' does excellent when treated as a type III hard prune. This particular clematis isn't "suppose" to grow in my zone 3, though it's planted next to the foundation of my house where the roots are kept warm during winter.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pippi, I planted my Sweet Autumn Clematis after my neighbor gave it to me back in October. It has plenty of room to ramble up and over the porch. From what I've seen, it'll climb almost anything. I hope it does well after this winter we've been having. Although, I understand it's a pretty tough cookie, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm hoping that both Tie Dye and Mary Rose will bloom this year if they've lived. The others I purchased from the same mail order at the same time all died so I guess I should hope for life before blooms....

• chills71
    13 years ago

Terrance...

I got Fairy Dust last fall. its a sport of Venosa Violecea and it bloomed well for me while still in the pot. I ended up just sinking the pot into the ground and will plant it this spring.

For how long have you had your Vienetta... (how many winters has it survived in zone 3....wow!)

~Chills

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Chills, the photo shows 'Vienetta' in its second year after planting, I had "rescued" this clematis from a local Safeway grocery store, it looking pretty sad and neglected. Last year, it had done poorly though, that being my fault with overdosing it with manure. Season four is now approaching and today I checked by carefully digging around and could see new stems coming ... Florida Sieboldii is planted nearby and it's also alive and well.

Terrance

• kentstar
    13 years ago

I also am looking forward to seeing what Sweet Autumn can do. I planted mine from Joy Creek last year and can't wait to see her grow! I hope she's huge and climbs everything!
    I also can't wait to see what my Beauty of Worcester does this year. It'll be the 3rd year for her and from what I have already witnessed she's very vigorous for me and quite floriferous!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kentstar, at least I can share my excitement and great anticipation with someone else on this forum! I hope yours does well too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Thanks! And I hope yours goes crazy with growth too lol!

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Fairy Dust is to die for...she is so vigorous for me in my Zone 8B and talk about blooming fool..you are gonna love her

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I'm having difficulty choosing as I planted many new clematis last fall. Guess I will say I am looking forward to getting 'Omoshiro' and 'Miguel Viso' which I ordered from Brushwood in December.

Also I saw 'Guernsey Cream' in bloom early last spring and hope to pick one up at Donahue's open house this spring. Then there is 'Tie Dye' and 'Shirayukihime' and 'Vienetta' and 'Forever Friends' and...See what I mean?

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax