Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify this clematis

Posted by wrestlingmom 5a NE (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 12:05

Hi! We moved to our new (old) farmhouse last fall, and I have a small flowered, white clematis (blooming in clusters) climbing a trellis on both sides of the front porch, combined with some RADramblin roses. The leaves are deciduous, and the plant bloomed in later summer/fall (dumb me--I didn't journal it). I thought at first it was sweet autumn, but again, it's deciduous and not evergreen--the leaves are thin, dead and brown right now. The clematis are planted on the east side of the house, with some shade from trees and certainly the porch, so it must be a fairly light shade tolerant variety. I have no idea what this these things are, and I've been reading everything I can on clematis. Any ideas? I just want to know how to care for it, and when and if I need to prune it. If all else fails I can wait a year and see if it blooms on new or old wood, but it would be helpful to know for this spring. Wish I had a picture, but I don't. Thanks so much in advance--I'm hoping one of you clematis experts have some insight! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify this clematis

I haven't grown this one myself, but do you think it might be clematis virginiana? Here is a link to it on Brushwood's website with several photos. They do mention that it can be grown in shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Virginiana at Brushwood

o

Thanks so much! I got really excited when I saw your post, because the flowers look right. I did more digging and I found the link below. It says that the clematis virginiana has toothed leaves. Mine has a smooth leave that's rounded at the bottom and pointed at the tip. Like I said--they're thin and very dead right now (I live in Nebraska and we have cold temps). What will sweet autumn clematis do in northern climates over winter? The plants on my porch aren't invasive at all--the flowerbeds have been neglected here for a number of years and I didn't see any sign that it had spread all over. I know sweet autumn can be very invasive and it's supposed to be evergreen. Could it be that, but more controlled in a northern climate without full sun exposure? Does it die back in northern climates and then regrow from the roots each spring? I only saw it last fall, but there didn't appear to be dead growth mixed in with the live growth then. I'm lost...that's why I have no idea how to id it.
Thanks so much!
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/clematisvirg.html

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9 Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 14:15

I don't grow Sweet Autumn and have no experience with it. I've never heard that it's evergreen and will be surprised if I find out that it is. From reading this forum I know that it is usually cut all the way back in the winter and only blooms on new wood.

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9 Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 14:18

By the way, if you're interested here's an article on Clematis Terniflora (Sweet Autumn.

o

Thanks so much for the info! I know zip about clematis--I'm used to more heavily wooded, shade gardening--so I feel like I'm almost starting over as a gardener on a property with mostly full sun or light shade. I kept reading that sweet autumn clematis is evergreen, but I'm pretty sure now that they were talking about down south vs. up here. I'm guessing that has to be what I have. If all else fails I'll take it into extension or a local garden center later this year. Thanks again so much.

o

hi wrestlingmom, I have three sweet autumn clematis and yes they do look brown and dead each winter here. I cut mine back in spring to about 12 inches and it comes back each year. My cousin who lives two hours further north doesn't cut hers back and it get bigger each year.
roseberri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here