Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

Clematis and California?

wanttogarden
15 years ago

I was told by a nursery person here that Clematis and Hostas are East Coast plants and will not do well here in Northern California.

Is it true? I just bought about 20 clematises and hostas in fall :-(

FJ

Comments (19)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

LOT'S of gardeners grow clematis in California, even down into zone 10 SoCal (but mostly the milder coastal areas). You shouldn't have any trouble in San Jose but may want to be careful siting so that they are in at least part shade during the hottest part of the day. And providing sufficient water will be critical.

Hostas and a lot of other common hardy perennials do require a winter dormancy period that can make them a bit problematic in areas that don't have a very pronounced winter. But again, zone 9 is not that far different from my own 8b and hostas grow here fine. And there's a heck of lot of nurseries in California - especially northern California - that offer both these plants.

"East Coast plants" - ROFL!! I'm about as far away from the east coast as you can get and still be in the continental US and both plants grow like crazy here. Your nurseryman is nuts.....or just doesn't know what he's talking about. I suspect the latter, as there's 3 species of Clematis that are native to California!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostas for warm climates

• stevebrickley
    15 years ago

FJ, I live in Redwood City, CA and grow probably 30 different Clematis and a handful of Hosta. I disagree with the nursery person, completely.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Sounds like your nurseryman doesn't sell clematis and doesn't know a bit about where they can grow. There are plenty of members in the American Clematis Society who live in California and grow them with no issues.

• wanttogarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. It makes me feel more confident planting them rather than tossing them out.

FJ

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Does this answer your question?
    {{gwi:227064}}

• julieiwuc
    15 years ago

Hoovb, that is beautiful! Where do you live? I'm in So. Cal too.

Julie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Hi Julie I'm in Orange County.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Hoov..absolutely stunning my dear..what a sight for sore eyes that are missing my clems!!..Wantto...I think your Nursery person is like most here in Texas..Clematis grow beautifully here but are not common so they don't carry them..they hate getting "Stuck" with the plants and above all they don't know the information to instruct their buyers on how to grow them in their climate...and unfortunately without knowing the newbie can easily allow them to die for lack of watering in warmer zones..There is a guy I know in Phoenix who is growing them in morning sun and afternoon shade but is adamant about watering them almost daily..Jeanne

• wanda
    15 years ago

I'm in San Jose and I've been growing Clems (over 80 of them) for several years and they grow just fine. You just need to keep them very well watered.

Beautiful, Hoovb!

wanda

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

hoovb, Your clematis picture is really beautiful. I see you live in Orange County. I grew up in Garden Grove. I've lived in Canada for the last 35 years but my memories of gardens in So. Calif. were few and far between. Most people loved clipped evergreens and things that were easy. Your garden must be beautiful.

Good luck to anyone who wants to grow hostas. That has become my main passion plant wise up here in zone 4/5. As long as they have enough water, the sun is not as much of a deterant as lack of winter dormancy.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Yes, that's true--hostas are annuals here.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Sorry, but that's not exactly true - hostas DO grow in SoCal as perennials. My sister has them in her Laguna Beach garden. Even Sunset's Western Gardening Book recommends them, although they might not be as long lived as they would be in colder climates. And see the link I attached earlier.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

It is not a well-known fact that the American Clematis Society was orginally founded in 1996 as the Southern California Clematis Society :-) Perhaps we should send this info to wannttogarden's misinformed nurseryperson.......just think of how they could increase their sales if they offered those unreliable "east coast" plants as well?? LOL!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Am. Clematis Society

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Didn't know that tidbit of info Pam, but I am not surprised since the mailing address of the organization is Irvine, CA which is about as southern California as it comes! LOL

• valeriecg
    15 years ago

Are you concerned about the cold factor or the heat factor? Well obviously not the cold factor in zone 9 I guess. :) Here in zone 5 I grow both hostas and clematis, and many varieties of both! I just make sure I have them planted in an area that suits their needs, the hostas in shade with ample moisture and the clematis in sun, feet cooled with mulch and again plenty of water. With our clay soil I must do a lot of soil amending for these plants, but since they are in the top of my plant favorites, I will do whatever it takes! Happy Gardening

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

hostas DO grow in SoCal as perennials. My sister has them in her Laguna Beach garden. Even Sunset's Western Gardening Book recommends them

I stand corrected then...I checked my SWGB, and it says "some succeed" in 22-24. However I can't imagine that they have the magnificence of the ones in the midwest, east, and south, where there is summer rain and they are glorious.

• terryfic
    12 years ago

I am moving from NJ to Ojai, CA next month. It is zone 8b. I found this thread when searching for hosta and California, since I dearly love my big-leafed hostas.

It's a long shot, but has anyone been able to grow peonies in So Ca, or do they need a truly frozen winter? How about other perennials that are common in other parts of the country? I'm thinking phlox, spiderwort, astilbe, daylilies, iris, stokesia, liatris, echinacea (coneflower). There's still time to dig up some of these.

• bob414
    12 years ago

Peonies, clematis, hostas, daylilies, iris and echinacea have done well for me in zone 9 in the S.F. Bay Area. I haven't tried the others on your list.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

You might have better answers on the California Gardening forum rather than the Clematis forum. :)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years