kiddo
15 years ago

My clematis chinook has germinated.Oh my gosh I am soooooo

excited. Anyone else growing clematis from seed? I would love to hear from you

Kiddo

Comments (12)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I have many up and growing now and am still awaiting germination on way too many more. Don't have a Chinook but do have a seedling of Gazelle that has germinated. Just realize that these are hybrids and you won't know what you will get out of them until they bloom. Also realize since they are hybrids that you should really call them seedlings of Chinook as hybrids may look similar to their parent, may look totally unlike them, but regardless, they are genetically different from their parents because of the random scrambling of their genes from the seed parent and the pollen parent and even if they were self-fertilized.

{{gwi:575286}}

{{gwi:575286}}

{{gwi:575288}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I double posted one picture and left another one out. LOL

{{gwi:575290}}

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Miguel, I see some tubulosae group in the first photo, I think. What are the shrubby ones in the 2nd photo, front row, #1 and 2 from the left?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Michael, I have seedlings of pink clematis stans (grew the blue variety last year), Gazelle, glaucophylla, Blue Boy, Hanajima, loads of what is supposed to be integrifolia the species that show differing leaf forms so don't know what they could be crosses of, and a couple of unknown ones. I still have quite a few baggies and pots that are showing no germinations yet. I am quickly running out of room under the fluorescent shop light I have them growing under even planting several to a pot and have just last week gotten another light that I am going to have to rig up before long. I still have loads of other garden seeds to sow for planting out this spring including 6 varieties of grape/cherry tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, borage, cardoon, and others that I can't think of right now.

When you say second photo do you mean the one that has a shot of my arm in it or the one that I double posted?

• bigshoes213
    15 years ago

I have two Clem babies! I have no clue what they are going to look like when they get bigger. I am so excited they germinated because I had given up hope since It took over a year. Congrats on your new babies.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Miguel, I meant the 3rd picture, or the last picture. I just don't recognize the front 2 on the left in gallon pots (next to the reddish pot).

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Michael, those two are seedlings of Hanajima that germinated in late fall. Those aren't gallon sized pots though--probably more like quart sized ones.

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Got about 70 two inches pots and counting of various clems-fusca, glaucophylla, pitcheri, crispa, integrifolia, fremontii, texensis, some from Miguel's seeds, some from Gardens North or trades.
    Took them all in my unheated greenhouse today- weather is holding above freezing for next few days. They look very healthy with nice tops.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Congrats Linda. We want pictures when yours flower. I must admit that I am already out of space under the fluorescent shop light mine are growing under although I do put them outside when the weather permits. I also went out and got another shop light to take care of the other "non-clematis" seeds I still have to start for the garden. I will probably be cursing myself this summer trying to keep the clematis seedlings alive until they bloom to decide whether to keep any or give them away.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Miguel, the Hanajima seedlings look good. Linda, whereabouts in Illinois are you? 70 seedlings will certainly take up a lot of space soon!

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks Michael. We are up into the 70s for the next few days. The seedlings are outside until the temps start dropping below 40 or so at night. According to the weather reports that will probably be the end of the coming week or so.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    15 years ago

I WS'd 2 types of clematis this winter. Hopefully I get a few that pop up.

Melissa1977

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals