Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Help with placement of three clematis

rosefolly
12 years ago

As mentioned on another thread, I have ordered Miss Bateman and Duchess of Edinburgh for a planned bed of May/June white flowers, along with Huldane which is to go elsewhere in the garden. I intend to plant MB and DoE on trellises against the east side of a cottage. Both spots will get morning and very early afternoon sun. One will go into bright shade much earlier than the other, around 1 or 2 PM, due to surrounding trees. The other stays sunny a couple of hours longer. I am trying to decide which one should be placed in the sunnier spot, and which would best tolerate less than full day sun..

If one is more shade tolerant that the other, then that one will get the shadier spot. If both are equally shade tolerant, I plan to place the more vigorous of the two plants in the shadier spot. If both are alike in both vigor and light requirements, then it probably does not matter.

My plan is to plant Huldane elsewhere (in full sun) because it looks to me from what I read as though it blooms a bit later than the other two. If, however, it is the most shade tolerant of the three, I can easily alter that plan. It would not be at all a bad thing to have the bloom in this bed continue on a bit longer.

Rosefolly

Comment (1)