Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

How far a

gardenbug
13 years ago

Can anyone recommend a white clematis that would look nice with jackmanii? I would like to add a white clematis this year because the purple jackmanii seems just a tad too dark against my long red cedar fence/trellis. I am thinking a white clematis would make it stand out better. Also, how far apart should each clematis be planted? Thanks again for all your help. Oh yes, I would like to have a clematis that is in the same group as the jackmanii.

Comments (10)

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

I like Huldine and Jackmanii;
    {{gwi:574222}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow!~ bonitamariposa,you're clematis is very stunning. What do you feed them? I love this combination together. Could you please tell me how far apart they should be planted? Thanks again.

Ps. Sorry for my post 'title' as my fingers seemed to be working faster than my brain. How far a? How's anyone suppose to know what that means? lol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

How far apart is up to you. You could - if you wanted to - plant them together, treating them as a single vine, just assuring that large, deep enriched planting hole was twice the size of one prepared for only a single clematis. Or you could plant them at opposite ends of the cedar fence and train them to grow towards each other. Or you can plant them somewhere in between and allow them to co-mingle. If you are selecting from the same pruning group, it really doesn't matter on the spacing. To get the above effect, I'd guess bonitamariposa has them relatively close together.

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Hi Cadence, we use magic mills rose food to feed the clematis and the roses...they love it. And Gardengal is correct we planted them close same as this clematis: Comesse de Bouchard (pink) and Venosa Violacea
    {{gwi:575382}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG. These are sooooo beautiful.

Gardengal: Thank you for letting me know about the spacing. My jackmanii's are about 4ft apart and I want to plant the white one in between them. It's good to know that I can plant another one in between them.

bonitamariposa: Thank you for letting me know what you feed them. I have made a note of this. I'm definitely going to get huldine to plant between the jackmanii. Thanks very much.

Oh...by the way, can you grow a clematis in a large container pot too? Thanks again

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

You're welcome.

I know you can grow a clematis in a pot but I'm not sure which one. My durandii is still in a pot. But growing in a pot requires more feeding from what I have read.
    {{gwi:575383}}

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Sure you can grow clematis in containers - many of new Evison introductions (the Boulevard series/patio clematis) were bred with this in mind. And there's a good many others that will suit containers as well. Obviously, the very large growing vines may not be ideal, both for root space as well as the ultimate length of the vine.

Growing anything long term in a container takes some thought and preparation and some additional care. You need to consider the size of container, potting medium/drainage and the need for frequent water and fertilizing.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bonitamariposa and Gardengal, thank you both for your 'really helpful' advice. I can hardly wait til' the weather warms up so I can get some more clematis. The first one I'm going to buy will be "Huldine"

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

Cadence, you are very welcome! Good luck with your huldine...it's truly one of my favorites.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll post some photos later when everything is in bloom!