Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Anyone Pruning Their Group 3's Yet?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Did anyone start pruning their clematis plants? Especially group 3's since the two I have are group 3: sweet autumn(planted last October) and Reiman. I think Jeanne said wait until the forsythia blooms. I'm thinking that's not far off since I saw new growth coming on my one lavender plant.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• sandyl
    13 years ago

I hard prunned some of my 3's including my 6 year old sweet autumn this past Saturday and Sunday and cleaned up my some of my 2's. On Sunday we got up to 72, was nice. I'm not done yet since I have 20 plus to work on. I started one 30 gal trash can of Alfalfa Tea to ferterlize all mine in the next couple weeks. I used 2 cups of alfalfa feed pellets per 5 gals of water and then poured the buckets into the 30 gal trash can to work before I use it in a couple of weeks, I stir it up every day until I use it . Once I cut the 3's I made sure I covered them back up real good with mulch that I had already on them, but they are pretty hardy even if we get down to 25 or so. I usually have to cover someone up with blankets and its usually Asao, she already has buds almost 1/2 the size of my little finger and Jackmani has about 18 new shoots coming from the ground. Sandy

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Mine are still under about 3 1/2 feet of snow . . . sigh. March is my month for zone envy.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Mine would all have been done by now but we had an Arctic blast of snow and temps below 20*. Now it is pouring rain. Next sunny day over freezing they are getting the chop. I had warmer temps in January.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took advantage of this early spring weather and pruned both plants. Reiman took a beating this winter as a few stems were broken but there's plenty of buds on it. Sweet autumn doesn't have any buds on it but the stems are still white and green. I hope they both make it and they flower. Funny thing is my Reiman bloomed in May of last year and that was it (first time it bloomed). That was the most complemented plant in the garden last year so you can see why I'm hoping for it to pull through.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Carrie B
    13 years ago

I pruned all my 2's and 3's a week or so ago.

• julieiwuc
    13 years ago

I did mine back in January. Got some new growth coming. Just had my first blooms this weekend - Asao and Ruby Glow. The first blooms are so close to the ground I decided to keep them in pots on my back patio so I could see them better. {{gwi:575506}}

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Very pretty Julie.. I get more excited during Clematis time in the spring when they start budding out then I do at Christmas! Yesterday I got home and fed my critters and then had to spend about 35 or 40 minutes just going to each of mine and checking them out and yes I talk to them. I had to feed Jackmanii through his trellis to help him get the hang of going up.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional