Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

Watering Clematis from the bottom up

sandyl
12 years ago

I know most of you are saying WHAT right about now.. Here's a little tip that I came of with several years ago that has really paid off concerning new Clematis or older Clematis that have been in a pot for a couple years and is ready to be transplated in the garden. When I dig the hole for the transplant I dig the hole big enough to insert a piece of 4" pvc pipe into the hole beside the Clematis and I use the PVC pipe to water and fertilize the Clematis from the bottom up during summer when watering is required. If the root ball to the Clematis is large then I might use a piece of PVC pipe as long as my arm. I leave a couple iches of the PVC pipe sticking up above the ground and mulch around the pipe. I have found that watering them from the bottom up their roots grow down more. Just a little tip for the newbies. I just about can't wait til Clematis time. Its about like Christmas. All mine appear to be coming on strong now. Oh almost forgot, I am moving my 8 year old Jackmanii, in fact there are two jacks in the 1/2 whiskey barrel that have been on the south side of my house in full sun on a trellis for several years, it gets way to hot on that side and I will be moving the whiskey barrel to the north side near the front porch, They should not brown out as much on the north side and I can enjoy them while setting on the front porch. They should go up to the top of the eve and flop back down, should be gorgeous. There is a lot of sun on the front north side just not hot blazing 140 degrees + next to a brick house with no shade all day. They should be happier this year.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County