Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiearms_2009

limit clamatis growth

eddiearms_2009
15 years ago

I planted 2 Polish Spirits at the rear of a raised flower bed. Constructed a trellis without thinking it through and soon discovered that the backside faces mostly east and the front mostly west [ if that really matters]. Now when they grow, its up the front, down the back and the blooms only appear on the east side, which faces my garage, and no blooms on the west side where they can be seen and enjoyed. Can I limit their growth and force it to bloom on the west facing side by pinching the vines when they reach the top of the trellis? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Type III clematis, which Polish Spirit is, are genetically programmed to bloom at a certain point. In my garden, I have never tried to limit a clematis' eventual height by pinching out growing tips. It would be worth a try to see what happens. What I find interesting is that the plants tend to bloom with their blooms facing east. In my garden, the plants tend to follow the sun and the blooms are more on the westerly side of the trellises than on the easterly side of the trellis. This of course assumes that the westerly side is not blocked to the light by the garage itself.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I have a similar problem with Ramona grown up an east facing fence, she spills down the back side and the neighbors see most of the blooms. I've cut her back hard and pinched but still she grows to the top and spills over towards the sun.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

BorS, do the blooms on your Ramona face the west or east? Can't quite figure that out by your post.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations