Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't see new buds down low

Posted by ginnyginny Zone 9 Calif (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 17:21

I read to cut one year old clematis back to 8-18" being sure you have two sets of healthy buds.

In both cases the buds even at 2-3 feet look small and possibly dry, certainly no growth. There is green growth several feet up in fact one of them has flowers way up high now!

Should I go ahead and cut them way back and expect those buds to fatten up and do their thing?

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't see new buds down low

Yes. Hard pruning for the first couple of seasons is the way to go. Don't worry about the presence of buds.......IME, buds tend to form from the top down :-) Look for where the leaves were attached. There should be some remnants of the petioles or at least a small scar on the stem. This is where the buds will form so you can cut back to the second set of these leaf scars safely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here