Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieiwuc

nematodes on jackmanii roots - any suggestions?

julieiwuc
15 years ago

As I was moving a very small jackmanii plant a couple of weeks ago, I noticed nodules on the roots. I stuck it in the ground in a new location. I sent the picture of the roots to my friend from the Amer. Clem. Society. She said to get rid of the plant. So I threw it in the trash. I'm worried that the places I had it planted are now infected. There are other clems in the vacinity of its second location (it's been in 3 locations). This was one I got mail order last summer, but I never noticed the nodules when I first planted it or when I transplanted it last Sept.

Does anyone have experience with controlling bad nematodes? I can't figure out how to upload the picture. The instructions I found don't help me at all.

img src='

Comments (4)

• julieiwuc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I uploaded the photo to the garden gallery under Bugs & Butterflies. The pic of the nodules is a little blurry and has my fingers behind it.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Julie, to upload a picture to this forum, you will need an account to an online photo hosting site such as Photobucket. It appears from your post above that you are trying to link from your hard drive which luckily won't work. If it did, then anyone could hack into your computer and steal any info you have stored there.

As for your nematode issues, can't offer any help since luckily I have never had the issue. The only nematodes that I have encountered were beneficial nematodes that I purchased and introduced to help drive down the incidence of various pests in the garden. Perhaps you need to take the plant to your local Agricultural Extension Agency to have them confirm that you have an issue since you may have been given information that is not correct. Sorry I can't offer any more help than this.

• julieiwuc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just might dig it out of the trash and find a local county extension service like you suggest. If it is nematodes, I'd like it if someone can experiment on it and find a way to eradicate them. Thanks for your suggestion.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Julie, I couldn't find your photo but I suspect the info you received from your friend IS correct. If the nodules are that obvious, that's really the only thing it could be. Root knot nematodes are not all that common with clematis - I've only seen them once - but the plants are susceptible to them and it's a pretty serious issue if you discover them.

Removal and disposing of the plant is necessary. Whether you take it to your extension office for diagnosis is up to you - it won't hurt - but do not replant or compost. It must be destroyed. Unfortunately, you have risked spreading the problem by initially replanting it a different location. If you locate a plant displaying these symptoms again, trash it immediately and avoid spreading the contaminated soil anywhere else in the garden.

Root knot nematodes are particularly difficult to control or eradicate. Fumigation, solarization or allowing the area to remain fallow for a couple of seasons are methods suggested. It might be helpful to Google "root knot nematodes" and review the literature to see what risk your other plantings may be exposed to, what control methods are recommended and what might work best for you. Don't be distracted or put off by associations of other plant types with these creatures - they are all very similar and act the same way and are treated similarly.

This is a nasty problem. Good luck.