Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen of Vines: Origination?

Posted by dream_gardener 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 20:36

I am preparing to make a presentation on clematis to some local gardeners this spring, and was hoping I could include
how the clematis was named the "Queen of Vines". i.e. Who
originated that, in what country, etc. Havent been able
to find any info on the web as of yet, so thought
I would try to get some feedback here. I'm even open to your
own thoughts as to the history of these beautiful vines and why you would name them "queen"!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen of Vines: Origination?

Haven't a clue as to how clematis got that name dream gardener. Perhaps someone here has an idea. However, I would suggest you contact Edith Malek, the president of the American Clematis Society, since she is always using the term and may have some insight as to that. You can contact the American Clematis Society at info@clematis.org.

o

I also have no idea where or when that tag became associated with clematis, but they have been referred to in that manner for many years. I would assume that is because of all the vines, clematis offer some of the showiest blooms, the greatest variety and the most adaptability to various locations. They have been cultivated and hybridized longer than any other flowering vine as well

o

Don't know about the name, offhand, but the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis has an excellent history of clematis in it, including some wonderful old photos.

o

You could also ask at Garden Buddies forum.

I'm sure someone will know.

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/clematis/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here