Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating 'etoile rose'

Posted by jxa44 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 20:45

Hi all,

i found and purchased seeds of clem. 'etoile rose' in the EU. i received the seeds today, but the cultivation instructions aren't very helpful to me.

Can someone please provide me with growing "do's and don'ts". I am going to grow these seeds outside in a seed tray.

many thanx,

joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating 'etoile rose'

Joyce, just realize that Etoile Rose is a hybrid and won't come true from seed. The plant might look similar to Etoile Rose or it may be entirely different. Either way, what seedlings you do get from the seeds should be called seedlings of Etoile Rose and not Etoile Rose. Rather than attempt to write a treatise on growing clematis from seed, I am going to direct you to a site that will provide what you need to know. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis from Seed

o

thanx nckvilledudes,

for those of you wanting to follow instructions, link is posted below to growing instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing clems from seed

o

Joyce, one other way to grow clematis that is being used by people these days is to take sandwich baggies, place vermiculite in them (say 1/4 cup or so), wet the vermiculite slightly with water, and then drop your seeds in the baggies with the moist vermiculite. Keep the baggies out of direct light so the seeds don't bake. Being a viticella, you might want to expose the baggie to alternating periods of cold and warm temps. to help speed germinations. Some clematis seeds don't need this warm/cold treatment to germinate while others do. Also, some clematis will put out roots and top growth almost simultaneously while others will put out roots first and then the top growth will come out later, after a few weeks to a few months, and may require cold treatment to get top growth. I germinated clematis addisonii this way and when the roots developed I potted some up in potting soil and am still waiting for top growth. Some I left in the vermiculite until top growth occurs and then I will plant them.

o

thank you nckvilledudes -- this way of propagating also should eliminate damping off. I'll give it a try.

joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here