Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare root/crown/bud question

Posted by kristineca z10 CA (Coast) (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 20:54

I lucked on my first planting of clematis and received a 3 yr gallon-sized plant. It's now in the ground and putting out shoots. Lovely.

Received some of my other plants today--bare roots! Bare being the operative word.

All the manuals and my research say to plant the bare root crown at least two inches below the soil. I understand the crown to be where the roots meet at the stem. I found some great pics on the web that showed the kind of bare roots I purchased (3-5 roots). However, some of the plants have green buds/leaves right at the crown. And some have buds off a 2-3 "stem."

Do those green buds go two inches under as well? If there is a stem, should the buds remain on top of the soil.

Any help appreciated. I think I may not be cut out for bare roots and will find more gallon plants. Thanks, Kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare root/crown/bud question

Best thing is to start bare roots in gallon pots and grow them there until you can see roots through the holes in the bottom. And yes that is the crown and should be 2 inches under the soil and when you put it in its permanent spot you should plant it at least 4 inches deeper.

o
RE: Bare root/crown/bud question

I agree with bob. This year will be better spent in the pot, and don't worry about planting depth until next year when you will be putting a plant with well established roots into the garden. Last year I received the most pathetic looking bare roots I have ever seen. I potted up all four but only two lived. Those were the weakest clematis I have ever grown. The new growth has started this year and it has all the vigor I could expect. Those two plants would never made it if I had planted them bareroot in the ground last year. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here