Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinylady_gw

can clementis grow in partial shade?

tinylady
18 years ago

I want to put in a arbor and have clementis on it, but the area is partail shade. Does any variety grow in that kind of atmosphere?

Comments (10)

• bob414
    18 years ago

The chalk hill web site has a list of clematis that will grow in partial shade. I have a hagley hybrid that is partly shaded and it does very well. I picked up a carnaby a couple of years ago and read that it fades badly in the sun so I have it in a spot where it is completely shaded during the day and gets about an hour of the last sunlight of the day. Here's a picture. You can see the trunk of the tree in my neighbors yard that shades it all day.
    {{gwi:576347}}

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

Bob...How Stunning!!..Jeanne

• bob414
    18 years ago

Thanks Jeanne. It's been a pleasant surprise. One of those picked up for a bargain at a big box store. I wasn't sure it would do anything in this spot.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Hi Tinylady,
    I'm no expert, but in my searching for one that does well in shade, I've seen Silver Moon mentioned alot. I don't have one yet, but have ordered one for a very shady spot in my yard.

• gaylek
    18 years ago

Bob that is BEAUTIFUL!! May I ask what type of fern is that growing at the base of the clematis? I like the look! May I also ask what zone are you in?
    TIA!
    Gayle

• bob414
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 9 and what looks like a fern in the picture is dicentra (bleeding heart).

• tinylady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is beautifull. I love their colorfull flowers. I have one over my mail box now that takes up the whole thing when in full growth. This the first year I did not prune it. I will see what happens. Also can you take a cutting from them to start another?
    My back yard is shaded a lot. I am outlined in trees.It gets about 3-4 hours of light. I want more color back there that is why I was thinking of clemtis on an trellis or arbor.

• PhoenixDavid
    18 years ago

Hi there.
    I am in zone 9 (Phoenix) and clematis sure can grow in partial shade. In fact, they seem to do better there. I have several on a north facing wall that get no direct sun, but do get some reflected bright light. I just planted them in the fall and all but 1 of the 4 have buds already - florida var. sieboldiana, 'Rhapsody', and 'Perle d'Azur'. I got them from Chalk Hill Clematis, 24 total, and I am very exicted that I can grow them here!

• mgmb
    18 years ago

Bob's HH rocks! I tried one of those in a sunny location in my zone and it faded right out to dull pink. So I got a 'Pink Champagne-Kakio' and it hasn't been doing anything for the past 2 years. I have two white clematis 'Alabast' in same shade/late afternoon sun situation as described by Bob that are sold as shade tolerant. These also haven't done much yet but I am ever hopeful.

• grittymitts
    18 years ago

Wow Bob, that's a real show stopper! Guess there's hope for me having one after all.

Thanks!

Suzi

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH