Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for container

Posted by socabeth z9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 21:30

Hi! I've successfully grown a clematis that is coming back to life for the first time! Its called Sarco Gem. I have it in a 15 in clay pot right now. What size pot should it go in? Any suggestions for planting soil? If I remember right it grows to about 8 feet. I plan on planting it after it blooms....I wanted to make sure it was alive before I invested in a pot....I seem to always kill them....Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for container

That would be 'Scartho Gem' and a very nice choice for a container. I typically use a 3 gallon container as a minimum size for any of my containerized clematis but ultimate size depends heaviy on the size of the vine. A 15" diameter pot is pretty close to a 3 gallon capacity so I'm not sure I'd go much larger.

Container growing does have some requirements that inground growing does not. You need a very good quality potting soil (not something like Miracle Gro) and you need to pay very close attention to both watering and fertilizing. You should also repot relatively frequently - even high quality potting soils break down over a season or two and need to be replaced. And your vine should be root pruned at that time as well.

o
RE: Suggestions for container

Thanks gardengal for the good advice...I think I will repot this year after summer. It has blooms coming already! This was last year:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here