Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

wondered how everyone's Chalk Hills were doing ??

User
15 years ago

I bought a lot and I know others did too. I transplanted 5 to 2 gal pots and the rest have wintered in the long plastic pots that they came in. I have a lot of growth on all but 3 of the 16 I bought. We have had a crazy winter in AL. It was 28 last night and will be colder tonight. This is one of many weeks that is has done this and then gone to 70 and then back to 20's. We have had the full gamut. Our swimming pool froze over in a solid sheet for 3 days and that has NEVER happened. That was last month.

Anyway just wondering if there is a + report out there. Caroline

Comments (22)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

It is too early yet here to really tell anything. I did notice the two I planted in the ground have no growth at all. One I left in original pot does. One I potted on doesn't. Can't remember the other two.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

One of the other two has new growth the other doesn't.

So, I've got two out of six with new growth. Lady Grey and Tie Dye.

It is still too early to worry.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

They looked a little iffy when they arrived, but they look pretty good today:
    {{gwi:576369}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Wow, what a difference. When I saw growth on mine I mean green buds at the soil line.

• grow_darnit
    15 years ago

Wow! I'm jealous. All I can see is about a foot of snow on everything! It's nice and beautiful, but I am really ready for some green. Post pictures, will you? I need something to tie me over till I can go dig too!
    Grow

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

The two in the ground still show no signs of growth, they are Brunette and Konigskind.

Cassis, which I potted into a gallon shows no signs of growth.

Mary Rose, Lady Grey and Tie Dye do have a few leaves but nothing like the picture on this thread.

• seattlesuze
    15 years ago

Dorota, Miss Bateman, and Francis Rivis are in the ground and sending up new shoots.

Still in pots and sending up new growth are Pistachio, John Huxtable, Josephine, Hakuookan, Mrs. Cholmondeley, Negritjanka, Pagoda,Purple Spider and Sympatia.

Can't wait to see them blooming this summer!

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

I see life on 2 out of >10 on mine but mine are just starting to show some signs of budding so am hopeful.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

All of mine are fabulous and growing like a weed...I sunk my pots in the soil over winter and have already begin planting..Jeanne

• carolfm
    15 years ago

I ordered quite a few and all are budding out and growing with the exception of Texensis. I haven't given up on it yet!

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Carol, I would not be least concerned about texensis not yet showing up. It is one that loves the heat so is generally later coming up than other types.

• Hepatica
    15 years ago

I ordered 16 clematises and most of them have been showing signs of life (Margaret Jones, Kaiu, Propertiu, Pevertil Pristine, White Columbine, texensis, Radiance, Kiev, Wallenburg, viorna, Tie Dye, Prince Charles). But Broughton Star, Mary Rose, and Sialia have no signs of life at all yet. Mary Rose and Sialia haven't put anything out yet; looking at the pots there's just soil and no growth whatsoever. I'm very concerned about these two because I have wanted them for a long time and I don't know where I could buy them again if these are actually dead. I still haven't given up, though.:)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Good position to take Peppa. Patience is a virtue with clematis. If by late summer you still haven't seen any growth on the two, I would probably take the plants out of their pots and check on the root systems. At this time of the year however, it is way too early to worry about a clematis that has not come up.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to look back to this post. I have flowers galore on several of them and they are still in the pots they came in. I have the 3 still in pots , I dug them up to check the roots. The roots look great but there is no sign above ground yet. So I will be patient as you say. All of the ones that I planted out and are from other sources are all the way up the trellis and are covered with buds so I am well pleased with them. Over all it is looking like our drought is over here so I am hopeful. Also I went ahead and fertilized everything w/osmocote to give a boost. I hope that was good. I have bone meal and got 50 pounds of cottonseed meal today. Is there a rule for how much of these on transplants and established plants ? THANKYOU> C

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Here is what I've got:

{{gwi:576370}}

{{gwi:576371}}

• grow_power
    15 years ago

I ordered 3 from them. So far, only growth from one.

_A

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buy or sell those look very healthy.

A maybe you have slow ones too ! I tried to look up Kiev and there is nothing anywhere that I can find. Another I have not seen anything start yet is Early Sensation. So I am going to wait and wait as the roots are quite nice when I looked a month ago. Have you looked at your roots ? c

• Hepatica
    15 years ago

trailrunner, there is some info about Kiev here:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=470

This site has lots of good clematis info; I use it all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I looked at the roots when I received them, very small root systems. Did not even fill half the pots.

If they weren't out of business, I would never buy from them again. Their shipping was outrageous for long pots full of rocks instead of lightweight soil and roots.

• wanda
    15 years ago

All of mine (17 total) are going gangbusters with the exception of 2 of them...Rhapsody and 1 Crispa. Rhapsody had one sprout, I pinched it, and it hasn't grown out yet, it just sits there. One crispa hasn't shown any signs of life.
    The other 15 are growing like weeds, including one other Crispa. 7 of them are still sitting in their original pots and I'm still trying to figure out where to plant them. sigh......

wanda

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Have not been here for some time... Happy spring everyone!
    I've bought 16 Clematis from their last year sale. Here is my statistic: about 1/3 of them show no signs of life, 1/3 are very small (like on the last BorS's picture), the remaining 1/3 are doing well - cute little babies.
    Overall, I am with BorS on this purchase: was not worth the price and ridiculously high shipping cost. Most of them had very poor root systems.
    Sialia shows the best development so far. It has little buds!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Peppa ! I planted several over the weekend. They had roots to the bottom of the pot. Lots of thick golden color with lots of growth and flowers already up top. The ones that have shown no sign of growth have lots of roots as I lifted them gently out and put them back. I am willing to wait as I have so many ready to plant and not all the beds are ready yet. I am not doing mailorder anymore for plants anyway since we are getting better and better private plant sales in this area but for this one time I will just enjoy the plants and figure it is OK.

wanda I am glad you have had such a great response. c