Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miguel

Posted by buyorsell888 Zone 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 22:23

Did I read you having a Piilu that would not double when hard pruned?

Mine did, this is second year from a gallon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miguel

Gorgeous BorS. This year I have left mine unpruned to see if I get the doubles or not if left unpruned. Mine have never so far ever had any doubles when I pruned them hard as type IIIs. Is that from this year?? Interesting to note that there are both doubles and single blooms in close proximity. Makes you wonder if there is more to it than just pruning or not that makes the doubles???

o
RE: Piilu

Forgot to say BorS that I have had doubles on Proteus which is coplanted with Piilu.

o

It is from last year. I hard pruned to about 6 inches in Feb. Have already done so this year. It won't fit on the obelisk if I don't hard prune it.

I think this year is year 3, I am starting to lose track I have so many. LOL

It had both singles and doubles almost all of the time when it bloomed.

I don't have Proteus.

o

Maybe this will be Piilu's year BorS. If not, I can live with only singles since it is a relatively carefree type II that blooms quite well. I like that it remains relatively small as does my Proteus which is also normally treated as a type III for pruning purposes. Don't know if you have seen it or not, but Debbie at Silver Star Vinery has a picture of a monster Proteus plant that is grown by a friend of hers. Scroll down to its listing on the following link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Proteus at SS Vinery

o

Yes, I have seen that photo. None of my Clems are that vigorous. I think I needed to pay a lot more attention to the holes when planting them. A lot of mine just struggle along.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here