Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitkat_oregon

Fujimusume

kitkat_oregon
15 years ago

I think I have fallen in love with this clematis. Or perhaps I should say, the picture of this clematis. Joy Creek have it and the photo on my computer shows an almost 'true blue' bright and clear. Now, I know that there are no blue, true blue clematis' but is this one really close? Is she bright or muddy? Are any of you growing her? Any input prior to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Kat

Comments (12)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Don't grow her but agree that the pictures of here are nice looking. Perhaps someone growing her will eventually chime in here.

• garystpaul
    15 years ago

Hi, Kat. Fujimusume has been on my list for sometime. Anyone know why Joy Creek would list it as being hardy from Zone 6? Others have it as the more usual Zone 4. GaryStPaul

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Perhaps Joy Creek is being careful since the true hardiness ratings for most clematis is not known. That is why you often see most clematis ratings as zone 4 to 9 or so. COTW is conducting a survey to find out how hardy and in what zones clematis are hardy in so everyone's participation will aid in determining where the various clematis cultivars can actually grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW Survey

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GaryStPaul, thanks for the response, I cant decide if I should order this clematis. My picture on my computer is bright "blue" and delicious and on my sister's computer the picture is dull as ditch water, like alot of other pale "blue" clemmies. I guess Fujimusume is not real popular with the regulars here so perhaps that should be a good hint. Thanks again. Kat

• cattjovi
    15 years ago

Kat, I just ordered Fujimusume from Silver Star Vinery yesterday. I had it from another grower but I lost mine. I suspect the root system wasn't established. I have over 60 clematis and I've only lost two in the 4 years I've grown them. It's a beautiful clematis and I hope you consider ordering from Silver Star. She is known for her large root ball on her clematis.
    Happy Gardening,
    Arlene

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arlene, thanks for chiming in. I am so glad to know someone thinks she is beautiful. Well now you've gone and done it, introduced me to yet another wonderful clematis supplier :). Silver Star photo of Fujimusume looks alot tamer than Joy Creek so I am guessing that she is not as bright as I had hoped but still very lovely. Thanks again for the introduction and the information. Where do you put 60 clematis anyway? I'm having trouble coming up with places to put 10! Kat

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

You find places to put them Kat. I stopped counting and recording when I hit 130 clematis. It is an addiction much like rose collectors, brugmansia collectors, and others experience.

Yep, Debbie at Silver Star Vinery does sell larger one gallon sized plants. They do cost more and postage is more because of the weight but they are nice sized plants. I have heard that Klehms Song Sparrow also sells larger plants but again they will be more expensive in initial cost and shipping costs.

You have also discovered the vagaries of trying to purchase clematis based on flower color on various websites. The pictures can vary greatly and can often be misleading. Living in the south you have to add to that mix the fact that some bleach out in color in intense sun.

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are so right Miguel. Is that one of your photographs that Silver Star has? I cant remember the clematis variety right now, but a great photo. I guess with the color question I just have to rely on folks here. My clematis list is growing exponentially, and raised up to 13 today. Somebody stop me........ by the way, why are there no large flowered varieties in the yellow range? Cant those Japanese cross one of the yellow small flowered varieties with one of the big boys? I guess if it was possible, someone would have done it already. Kat

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Yes, Debbie is using a picture of my Tie Dye on her site. My last name is not spelled correctly but I am so used to people misspelling both my first and last name that it goes right over my head.

I guess no one has crossed the correct clematis yet to produce a yellow LFH or if they have, they have not introduced it into the trade There are always mutations or sports that can happen that might yield a yellow LFH one of these days.

• karalyn
    15 years ago

I ordered Fujimusume from Joy Creek and another blue one that was a double. The name will come to me in a minute...:)

They both didn't do well for me, but it could have been due to my inexperience at the time. I can't even remember the color of the bloom, if there was one. I might have ordered these too early after December or late Fall and kept them in my house or on a porch step on the south side of house.

I must say I have an addiction to clematis as well. Simply because they are beautiful! They bloom a long time, are vertical and I live on an acre and I still have trouble getting them planted as I have to have the right combo, right plant for them to climb on, right apparatus to climb on, etc.

But they are good to me, they self-seed or self-root. I learn to be brave about cutting back! It was hard at first, lol, and another avantage is pruning them is easy and no thorns! I do love them among roses, so I sacrifice my hands and arms. Although I have more clems than I have roses, but that doesn't mean there aren't more roses to buy. They just take more work.

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karalyn, you are right about the addiction aspect and I am sure you must have visited the rose gallery forum here, and if not .....BEWARE.....serious enablers lurk there, posting the most gorgeous photos of the most beautiful roses with the delicious intent of furthering the rose madness. Love every minute of it :)

Miguel, I can imagine that one could turn into a sort of mad scientist rushing about the garden crossing and recrossing clemmies to see what happens. Oh goodness, I have a vision of myself, unwashed and hairy...... never mind, I must go now..... out into the garden.....;) heh heh heh Kat

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Kat, you are so right. Unfortunately then you have to pot up and grow all the crosses out and that can lead to way too many clematis to keep up with if you have an outside job. I think I could see myself doing that once retired, but the clematis I already have sprouted, the ones in baggies and/or pots waiting to sprout, and then all the other types of seeds I have started are making my head spin on how to keep up with them. I can easily see how it could become a full time job.