Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Didn't prune my clematis. Now what?

Posted by aggierose Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 0:16

I have a Jackmani that I planted last year. It grew in my incredibly hot Dallas weather, but it didn't thrive. It put out a few flowers and reached maybe 3 feet. It never got bushy at all. I didn't think it would make it so I haven't done anything to it at all. I checked on it this weekend and it's growing and almost 6 feet tall! Now, it only has one "stalk" that is that tall, but it is definitely growing. Do I just let it grow this year and prune it next year? How do I get it to bush out instead of being just one tall, thin branch? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Didn't prune my clematis. Now what?

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 8:14

Prune it now above the second leaf node from the bottom of the stem. After it grows new vines from those nodes pinch the tips after they have a couple of leaf nodes.

o

Thank you bob414, but I should have been more clear about my clematis. The bottom 2 feet of the plant look completely dead. Part of it is even broken. I still can't believe that it's growing at all based on how the bottom looks. Can I prune it back to the ground to get rid of the dead looking stuff, or do I need to leave some green on it? Thanks!

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 19:51

I hope someone else jumps in with some advice. I would prune it to the ground but I've never had one like you describe. At the very least go on up the stem until you do get above two leaf nodes and prune it there and then pinch the vines that develop from the nodes after they develop a couple of nodes then prune it to the ground early next spring.

o

I would also prune it to the ground. New sprouts will come up from the buried crown. You did bury the crown when you planted it didn't you?

Hit it with some alfalfa pellets, meal or tea, that should help.

When they grow one long scraggly vine they usually will not ever "bush out" unless hard pruned.

Jackmanii is one that should be hard pruned every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here