Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmbrown88

Viticella Venosa Violacea

bmbrown88
15 years ago

I need some help deciding what color flowers to plant around the mailbox with this clematis (Venosa Violacea) climbing up the mailbox.... I'm very new to gardening but I saw these flowers last year called million bells that I would love to grow and also help keep the roots of the clematis shaded... any ideas what color would look best against that deep purple bloom??? should I for a orange, yellow, or lavender??

Comments (18)

• bmbrown88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:576493}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

I've just added Venosa to my arbor which has the rose Westerland growing on it as well as Betty Corning clematis. Westerland opens orange but quickly fades to salmon. I thin VV would look great with white or yellow also.

{{gwi:226504}}

{{gwi:222609}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

FYI
    Venosa Violacea is way too big for the average mailbox. Mine went to the top of a nine foot trellis and flopped back down in it's second year.

Harry, lovely arbor. Have you got two Betty's or does she go up one side and down the other?

• bmbrown88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

really.... I see a lot of people around here growing them on there mailboxes.. are there some that don't grow that big and if so what kind would do best??

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

BorS,

There are two Betty's. The reached 7' last summer in their third year.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Smashing photo Harry. I vote for orange with purple as well.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

VV on 9' trellis first year (center)

{{gwi:576494}}

Second year

{{gwi:576495}}

• Bogart
    15 years ago

I think any Viticella will grow that tall - amazing, isn't it - after being cut back to within a few inches of the ground they can spring up 7 or 8 or 9 feet in a season!

I have yellow Corydalis at the base of mine and it's smashing.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

harryshoe What is the name of the clematis growing on the arbor in the third picture?

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Harry's Clematis is 'Betty Corning'.

• seattlesuze
    15 years ago

Sorry, OT. Harry, that's a gorgeous combination. BC looks like dozens of tiny blue butterflies hovering around the roses.

BoS, I'm crazy about your arbor. Would you be flattered or insulted if we copy it for our garden? It's the perfect solution to an area between the windows of the house.

• virakech
    15 years ago

I'm seeing red violet AND blue violet colors in your clematis.

With blue violet I like to pinks/corals/white/ softer blues/ or yellows
    BUT, with red violet I like salmon/ white with orange-reds/ golden yellows

Since you have both warmer and cooler violets in that flower, I would say either a bicolor or a combo of colors. I would say salmon and another shade of blue - like deep blue violet. OR a bicolor of coral with pale yellow. OR butter yelllow or clear yellow with some white added. OR Coral and Salmon mixed together.

You can take two swatches from the paint store with you to the nursery when you go to pick out colors! Be sure to show us a picture of what you decide on.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

VVV is so very beautiful. There is white in the center of the tepals so white is a nice combo with it. Or go across the color wheel to orange and yellow.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Seattlesuze, flattered. My husband built it. Here is a better picture. He dug two foot deep holes and we stuck it in and filled with pea gravel around it. No cement. It is very solid. Those are standard 4 x 8 lattice panels from Home Depot. Cut in half for the side pieces. Pressure treated 2 x 4s for the "legs"

{{gwi:576496}}

• ofionnachta
    12 years ago

Will this cultivar tolerate shade pretty well?

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    12 years ago

I have it in a place where it doesn't really get sun until mid-afternoon, and it does very well for me.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

FYI I've had tons of trouble over the last four years with the Clematis not climbing the lattice very well. I spent far too much time trying to weave them through and they break off constantly. I found some clips at Harbor Freight which have helped but I would not recommend anyone build trellises like these for Clematis.

A far better solution would be to use wire livestock fencing in between the wood frame.

{{gwi:576498}}

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Beautiful Photos!
    kay

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz