Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Frost tonight! What about growing tips of leaves?

esther_b
12 years ago

The lush surreal proto-Spring weather we've been enjoying is coming to an abrupt end tonight---there's a danger of FROST. My Nellie Moser has two sets of leaves at her nodes. Do I have to cover the leaves to protect them tonight?

Comments (12)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Great question. It's going down to 27 degrees tonight after hitting almost 80 last week and consistently high temps. All my clems have buds-my Nelly is full of them even though I cut it way back last fall when I plantef her- not to mention my bulbs and everything else. This is my first spring with a garden. I'm not sure what to do either.

• kentstar
    12 years ago

I'm worried about all the new growth too. Leaves and buds swelling... Will they survive the cold or should I cover with a sheet? We are supposed to get down to about 25 degrees tonight! Yikes!

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

We get plenty of hard frosts well into April here in the past years. I think the clematis will be fine with the frost even with not covering them. Please let us know if they suffer from the frost. I hate the idea of missing the first flush of blooms...

• ibanez540r
    12 years ago

I'm worried as well in NE Ohio. Mid 20's and my etoille violette has already shot TONS of vines about 12in. It's against a trellis where it can;t really be covered, but I did toss a pieces of burlap against it as best I could :-/

Hydrangeas are all covered and cant cover the 10ft climbing rose. Hope they do OK!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

We had a frost warning too with our night time temps to go to 20's but looks like we didn't get a frost although their is ice in the birdbath.

The clematis here are just up about a couple of inches. Hopefully the cold didn't set them all back too much.

• ibanez540r
    12 years ago

How'd everyone do? We hit 26 in Brunswick, Ohio. Just uncovered everything, guess I'll wait to see the damage.

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

My clematis faired okay. Even with the cold snap, there is tons of new growth. Most of mine are fairly recently started, so I hard pruned almost all my clematis including the type 2's. Ibanez540r~ I live in NE Ohio on the west side of Cleveland, too. Small world.

• kentstar
    12 years ago

Small world is right! I live in Ravenna which is one hour south of Cleveland. Another freeze tonight.

• ibanez540r
    12 years ago

pmermakov, what city are you in?

Pretty funny, seems like a lot from NE Ohio on here.

Anyway my clem seemed to do just fine and is really taking off. Hopefully tonight isn't too bad. My hydrangeas on the other hand got hit fairly bad the other night even though they were covered.

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Snow is predicted for us here in Upstate NY (Finger Lakes region) for late tonight into Saturday. Could have up to 2 inches. I've checked the clematis and they are all still growing so I guess the cold we've had this week has not affected them at all. Thank goodness they are not budding yet.

Julia

• pmermakov
    11 years ago

Ibane ~ I live in Berea. Is there a place around here that sells alfalfa pellet? Maybe a feedstore in Medina? I checked with Landmart and no luck.

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

^ Sure is. I use Smith Bros.

www.smithbrosmulch.com $14 50lbs. 17% protein

Also Tractor Supply Company in Medina carries it but not as good.

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities