Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue macropetala & alpina

Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 9:30

I'm planning to put in a blue Atragene clematis this spring and am wondering if anyone has had experience with any of them. I've read about them, but I'm wondering about how prolific blooming is, repeat bloom, and any problems or particular strengths you've noticed. I'm looking at

Blue Bird (semi double, seems most likely to have some repeat bloom)

Pamela Jackman (not double, spring only)

Cecile (very double, spring only)

Stolwijk Gold (single flowers, longer bloom time, gold foliage)

If you have any others you'd recommend, I'd be open to those as well. These choices are based on what suppliers have available.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue macropetala & alpina

I like the early blooming species and have grown a number of different ones over the years - alpinas 'Frankie', 'Helsingborg' and 'Constance' and macropetalas 'Maidwell Hall', 'Lagoon', 'Blue Bird' and 'Purple Spider' (also 'White Swan', but obviously not blue!). I find them very easy vines......of all clematis, these are about as close to plant-and-forget as one can get. Lots of flowers produced on all of them but for a rather short period of time. I have not experienced much in the way of rebloom on any with the exception of 'Purple Spider' -- just an odd flower or two in late summer, although PS has produced a good flush.

I haven't grown 'Stolwijk Gold' myself but the ones I've sold seem popular and foliage is gorgeous and a great contrast to the flowering.

o

'Blue Bird' has been a dog for me. It was a full one gallon when I planted it and it wilted down to almost nothing and has not recovered. I love 'Helsingborg' but it is more purple than blue.

o

Thanks to both of you for your input.

o

I have had Bluebird for about 8 years or so. It grows on a chain link fence and has been amazing. It is at the back of a perennial border and I have done nothing with it but trim off some shoots that are growing forward in the garden as I weed. It has been very very vigorous for me. It has covered the fence completely.
I also have Markham's Pink. I think this is the same kind of Clematis. The flowers are certainly similar but the color is different. It grows on a tall arbor and I think is getting a bit thin at the bottom.
I also have Maidwell hall on the same fence. It has taken a bit longer to get established but I think it is coming well. Maybe this year it will spread out a bit.
Here are a couplt of Photos

Markham's Pink

Markham's Pink

Bluebird

Macropetala Bluebird
Macropetala Bluebird

Macropetala Bluebird

o

Nice!

o

Such lovely richly colored flowers with wonderful form! It's also great to see the whole plant and its effect as opposed to just the flowers the way they are often shown. I won't worry that the flowers aren't going to have a good impact.

o

None of mine are that full and lush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here