Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

It's growing in the bag but still have freezing nights ahead!

brooklynbonnie
10 years ago

I got caught up in Spring fever last weekend and picked up a Venosa Violacea packaged in a clear green bag with dirt and "roots". But I noticed a couple days ago that it has started growing in the bag and I can see about 5 inches of growth inside. I also just noticed it seems to be snapped about 1.5 inches from the top.

I don't want the plant to suffer but our forecast here in NYC shows at least four nights of below-freezing temps starting tomorrow.

Should I do anything now or just wait until it can be planted in it's final spot outside? BTW, I was planning to put it in a wide but shallow (probably 1.5 feet deep) container raised off the ground by about 8 inches. (I planned to train it up the fence nearby which is currently covered in ivy which I hate).

Thank you for any advice!

Comments (11)

• Debra Vessels
    10 years ago

I also bought a clematis in a bag a few weeks ago, brought it home and planted it in a pot with potting soil. It gets some sun or light and has already grown two sprouts. I will move it outside when the nights get warmer. I did this to many Clematis last year, and then transplanted them, when they had a good hard (brown) stem about 8" tall. Good luck, Deb

• brooklynbonnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks DebraV! Good to know it shouldn't be a problem to pot up indoors and plant outside later. :)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I have had the best luck with these bagged clematis by potting them up and letting them remain in the pots for over a year, fertilizing them well then cutting them all the way back, no matter which pruning type they are, the following spring. This way, they will make more new shoots. When the roots have all but filled up the gallon pot, I will then either put in a bigger pot if I haven't decided on a place for them, or put them in the ground. I just bought a bagged Henryi and HF Young in these bags and have potted them up - they are already showing healthy green shoots.

Judith

• brooklynbonnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know Judith! I'm too impatient I think - I can't wait to get it in the ground. I did put it in a pot in a window and watered for now. I hope it looks happier soon, but I do think it has a new shoot coming up now. The shoot that had started growing in the bag is still very sad looking - white and leaves shriveled/fell off. Fingers crossed!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I agree with Judith - these little bagged guys are way too vulnerable to be planted out directly. Generally, the recommendation is for the roots to completely fill a 1G sized nursery pot before planting out in the garden directly. That usually occurs after a growing season.

Be sure you research some of the archived posts on correct planting of new clematis and especially how to handle small or bare root plants. Very helpful and will greatly increase your chances of success.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just checked my baggie clematis - I had 2 from last year, 2 from this year. My last year's ones are alive and starting to put out - they are in 1 gallon pots. I am planning on leaving them there another year - am quite sure they have not filled the pot with roots but they are growing well. These little baggie things are in peat pots filled with roots so are quite tiny. The ones I just planted - HF Young is really looking nice with some very green leaves coming on - Henryi's shoots are not as far along but are alive and well. The difference is I had HF Young in the greenhouse, just put it out when we had warmer weather and sun. Henryi was in a different place and not put in the greenhouse. Tonite we will have colder weather - am going to put both in the greenhouse and give them the benefit of warmth and will take them out again when it is sunny and warm.

I just ordered 7 from Brushwood's sale. I had ordered quite a few last year from Brushwood, Silver Star Vinery and Garden Crossings. All were fine looking older plants. I potted them in 3 gallon pots. I was checking them today - all but one made it. They are very healthy and will be ready to plant in the ground when I figure out where they will go. I think, even with older plants, that this year they spent in the 3 gallon pots really helped them - now they will be ready to take off. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Older plants will grow out quicker - the baggie ones are fun for me to grow and I enjoy that - but I think a year of pampering in a pot will reap benefits for later on. Have fun with them!

Judith

• brooklynbonnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL! I need to learn to have patience. This is my first year with my own garden space (living in the city) and it makes me crazy with ideas and plans. I will leave it in the pot as long as possible to help it get strong. I hope it grows fast enough to go outdoors this year, but if not, I'll have to make do with the moonflowers I planned to put on the same ivy-covered fence. (at least I've grown moonflowers before!)

Thanks again! I'll keep studying in the meantime.

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

brooklynbonnie,

You do not want to keep Clematis indoors!

When people above are talking about keeping in pots before planting out they don't mean indoors.

The only time they should be indoors is if mail order babies arrive during the dead of winter. Even so, your zone isn't too cold for almost all Clems to be outdoors in pots without worry.

• brooklynbonnie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No worries! It went outdoors weeks ago as I managed to get a large pot and a trellis for it a few days after my posts. It had grown from nothing to 6 inches already and since going outside it's grown at least another two feet. It seems quite happy. Once it gets to the top of it's short trellis I'll post a picture to share. :)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Oh, Venosa Violacea is one of my very favorite clems. You'll love it!

• brooklynbonnie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ophelia! My favorite colors are white and purple so seeing them together made this one a no-brainer! I wish I had known about cutting it down to make more sprouts because it only grew one shoot. It also slowed down it's growth and no sign of getting any flower buds. It's only about 2 feet tall.

I really hope it keeps growing and gets some buds!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?