Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cottonseed meal

Posted by bobbygil 7 (rascal559@aol.com) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 9:53

Hi..anyone ever use cottonseed meal on clematis? I use them on my Azaleas and Blueberry bushes and was just curious how they would be on clematis...thanks bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cottonseed meal

Never have used it but its nutritional composition is somewhere about 6-1-1 or so in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash. I typically like to use something that is higher in phosphorus since it stimulates root grow and ultimately flower production. The only other downside is that it can acidify the soil so if your soil is already acidic, you could be lowering the soil pH even more.

o

I agree with Miguel - it wouldn't be my first choice for clematis. But then I have naturally acidic soils :-) If you wish to follow an organic regime, I'd suggest alfalfa meal (2-1-2) as it tends to be a bit more balanced nutrient-wise and with a lower nitrogen concentration. Or, if you can easily find them, a complete organic rose or vegetable fertilizer would work equally as well. I use Dr. Earth myself (when I don't rely just on my bunny and his 'produce') but Espoma also makes a similar organic product. And there are others.

o

Thanks..i wasnt sure... its good on my Blueberries and azaleas, but they like it acidic anyway

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here