Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis for pergola questions

Posted by olive51 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 9:54

I would like to grow some vines on a pergola that is about 10 feet W x 12 feet D and is 12 feet high. I was thinking evergreen type for year-round coverage and to minimize the need to prune. Is it correct that Armandii and Montana's are type one evergreens? Can I mix the two?

I believe Armandii and Montana have somewhat limited color choices and I was hoping for more color. Should I consider type two clems? What are the disadvantages to going with type two clems? Would they have brown vines in the winter months? Do they need at least some pruning?

Lastly, can I mix type two with Armandii or Montana?

I live in Atlanta, zone seven. Thanks in advance for any advice!

This post was edited by olive51 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 13:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis for pergola questions

C. armandii is evergreen - montana is not. I would not recommend combining the two, either. Both are very vigorous vines and either could completely cover the pergola (assuming the W&D is in inches). And since one is evergreen and the other not, an evergreen vine has a tendency to smother non-evergreen companions.

Armandii is also borderline hardy for you. The montana should be fine. You can certainly use type 2 clems - they offer perhaps the greatest range of colors. They are also the most prone to clematis wilt so just be advised. Careful planting and hard pruning for a couple of seasons can avoid this problem.

Type twos are deciduous vines - they lose their leaves in winter. And while pruning is never a requirement (except during establishment), they would benefit from that activity each season in late winter.

o
RE: Clematis for pergola questions

Hi Garden gal,

Thanks for all this information! Don't know why I thought Montana was evergreen....I edited my post to show that the 10 x 12 is in feet, is it possible that an Armandii would still overwhelm it?

Not sure I'll go the Armandii route as you state that it's borderline for zone 7.

Sounds like I could use several type twos and prune pretty hard the first few seasons and then once they are full and established, maybe just prune as needed for shape and size?

Thanks again, the pergola is just being built, so I have time for more research!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here