Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

Dividing a Clematis

tulipsmiles
14 years ago

I will be transplanting my Gillian Blades to a new spot. I don't think this plant is all too happy where it is located now.

I do however wonder, what damage would I do if I chopped the root ball in half and subdivided the plant? I'm just not sure how damaging this would be to the plant in general.

It is at least 8-10 year old plant, and she is just not happy in that spot. For the last 3 years, it has yeilded about 8 flowers per year. I have tried to ammend the soil with compost and have always fed it well with rose tone. I have trimmed out all the ugly dead wood (it was left for years with out care prior to us purchasing this home) but that didn't help either. I realize it is group 2 and blooms on old wood. The first 2 years I hadn't trimmed it at all and it still not put out many flowers.

It is presently in full sun and I have read that this plant prefers part shade. That info is what has prompted me to move it.

Last fall, I cut it down to 12" from the ground, hoping a fresh start would help this season. There are a bunch of sprouts shooting out from the mulch, just waiting for Spring to officially arrive.

Can you guide me as to what is best to do to make this plant happier and more productive. Like I mentioned, I'd really like to get two out of it, if possible.

Thanks

Comments (2)