Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anemic Garage Growth

Posted by redsox Z6 KY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 10:41

I overwintered Pamiat Serdtsa (sp?) in the garage because I had not found a place I wanted to plant it. We may plant it this spring. However, my garage had too much light in it so the clem and also my roses developed this sickly "garage growth" over the winter.

With roses, that is easier, you can pick off all of the leaves. But the clem has a couple of vines growing from the roots. What should I do with these? Leave them be or cut them back?

When is it time to put containers outside? Above 40 at night?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anemic Garage Growth

Usually, that leggy, anemic looking growth is the result of insufficient light combined with enough warmth to encourage the plants to emerge from dormancy. And yes, it can be cut back.

I winter clematis in containers outdoors all year round, so they can certainly take cold temperatures. You can probably bring them out now as long as you do so gradually - an abrupt shift from moderate, inside garage temps to colder outdoor temps should be avoided. I'd suggest bring them outside during the day and return to the garage at night while still cold, gradually extending that process to them remaining outdoors around the clock. If you can time this to coincide with time to plant, even better :-)

o

For the last two winters, this winter being the coldest of the two here in middle TN, wind chill down below 0 a couple times. I have left out on my west facing front porch with no protection whatso ever three large potted clematis that froze solid. I know I was a bad clematis mommy for doing that but no ill effects either year. I pruned them all about 2 weeks ago and now I have small buds and new growth buds coming up from the dirt. These are four year old clematis, Asao, Romona, Jaskmanii. The large pots are probably close to 15 gal size. I would have to move the pots with a two wheel dolly. Clematis are very harty root plants.

o

I would think in your zone you could do as they say and gently harden them off with no problems. Expose them to bright shade for 2 days, then a little morning sun for 2 more, etc. Should be no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here