Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjam2

Wall Trellis Kit from Lee Valley

msjam2
17 years ago

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to ask if any of you have tried the wall trellis kit from Lee Valley? I am in serious need of something like this but I need to know if it works before committing to buy.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=47472&cat=2,33286&ap=1

As always, thank you in advance.

msjam

Comments (25)

• twohuskies
    17 years ago

I was looking at the same one too. Someone on the Rose forum suggested it. I think the post was "Inexpensive trellises" or something like that. I would love to hear from others if this is a good product. Sure would be a great solution at a great price!

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I have not used that particular product but I do know that Lee Valley Tools is a top notch online retailer.

• mikentx
    17 years ago

Hi msjam,

Coincidentally, I happen to have bought two of these last week and have put up a 24' x 6' trellis on a southern brick wall for a huge climbing rose called "Lamarque" this weekend. This rose will completely cover the trellis in just a couple of years. It will be a good test of the trellis' strength.

I can tell you it was easy, easy, easy to install and I'm confident it will hold the rose.

It's a pretty clever idea. Wish I had thought of it!

• msjam2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone. I bought one this morning, hopefully it will be delivered by end of the week, my clematis badly needs something to climb onto.

I hope it works!

msjam

• ladybutterfly
    17 years ago

Hope you put you opinion up here after you use it.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike, thank you so much for the update!! I ordered the kit last week, it should be here on Monday.

Msjam

• melva
    17 years ago

Msjam,
    If I get some, can you come and help me put them up? Please??

• msjam2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Melva, just let me know when... :) They are easy to put up, put the glue in and stick them on the wall.

I hope they hold up in our extreme weather here in DFW.

• ladybutterfly
    17 years ago

Mike, Thanks you for your update. Think I'll buy it also!!

• hotpotatoe
    17 years ago

I just bought 2 of them on ya'lls sugestion. I also just planted 5 clematis so I'll need them. Thank you all for the suggestion.

• vinod_srinivasan_thehartford_com
    16 years ago

mikentx

I am attempting something very similar with my Golden Shower Rose capable of growing 16'. Could you post a pic of your arrangement so I can get an idea? I am not sure if I understand it clear..Perhaps a pic will help..Are you forcing rose canes to sneak through your wires between the glued clips? Can I do something like this?

{{gwi:34634}}

• rgusrafs
    14 years ago

Anyone have an update on these? I am thinking of taking the plunge since I have possible clematis addict tendencies and a tiny back yard.

They sound too good to be true. Has anyone ever successfully used the trellis kit on brick and then removed it from said brick?

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I bought 2 last year and attached them to my brick...first of all it made it through the winter with only about 2 popped ones. Second of all if you run out of the silicone that comes with GET ANOTHER KIT....I tried marine silicone, exterior silicon and they all popped with in 24 hours...use only the silicone that is supplied.

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I bought one today , a little cheaper, apparently from the people who make them. It makes sense to order from them in Arizona, rather than Canada (who orders them from the US)

I have a couple questions... will a Montana climb the wires, and will the system hold a Montana?

Here is a link that might be useful: anchor kit

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

Another link , this one for the kit with the wire

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis kit

• rgusrafs
    14 years ago

Just ordered two kits. I will let you know how they fare.

• vickima
    14 years ago

I just got one of these kits this spring for a rose, and now I'm thinking of using it to support a General Sikorski clematis on a wall. I've never grown clematis before and just put the general in the ground last year. I've got 2 stems about 6 inches tall now.

I was looking online to see what pattern to use for the trellis and how much growth I could expect this year (do I want a column or a fan?). But as I looked at the pics, it seems this plant likes to wrap around itself and I'm not sure the trellis kit will work for that (the wires will end up being very close to the wall).

We had a wooden trellis set up for it, but I don't really like it and am concerned it won't stay put, so I thought the trellis kit might be neat there.

Any thoughts from experienced clematis growers on kind and size of trellis for a young general?

• rgusrafs
    14 years ago

My clems love the wall trellis. As this is my second year, I had to buy more wire and ancohrs to expand my trellis this year. I didn't really go with a fancy pattern, but I dd leave maybe 6" squares so the vines will have room to grab on. All I had to do this year is help the vines grab the trellis in the beginning, and now they are climing like gang busters.

Hope that helps.

• vickima
    14 years ago

Thanks, rgustafs - that helps a lot. I'll go for it then!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    13 years ago

Some of you installed the Lee Valley trellis kit several years ago. I am just wondering how it has held up through several seasons of hot and cold?

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

Thought I'd update with my project. I finally installed the trellis kit -well, part of it, on our family room wall. Montana 'Mayleen' finally put on good growth after last spring. In the fall I put on a lot of discs and wired up far enough to hold the vine over winter. I fed the long vines through it so I'd have blooms this spring. I did not wire tightly, so as to give the vines some space between the siding and the wire. Today I just strung more wire higher up to hopefully accomodate this year's growth. This year wasn't as scary climbing higher up as I insisted my husband spot me. The discs adhesive is in fine shape, no wear. No loose ones as I fed wire though the disc hoops. I suppose the adhesive may face the toughest test with the room facing southwest.

Have a ways to go until I reach the peak. The opposite end of the room had a Mayleen going but died early last summer, so I have to get another to climb that side and meet at the top with this one.

{{gwi:577202}}

{{gwi:577203}}

{{gwi:577205}}

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

I lose about 20% of the discs - attached to a stucco wall every year. That in & of itself is not a huge problem if I have backup discs and glue. The glue from the original batch dried up after a few months, though, so buying new glue annually has been a must for me.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Around here, Montanas grow 20-30' so I'd be surprised if it would hold a mature one....Photo looks great though. :)

• msjam2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine are still on the bricks several years later, they survive the crazy weather we had last year. The glue that I use is GE silicone II from local hardware store.