Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which clems to combine with a white rose?

Posted by pandy 10sFL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 11:34

Ok. I know this sounds kind of simple butttttt...Im growing Prosperity on the north side of my house along some railings of my porch. This is in a huge pot. I want to put two clems in their own pots to go with this. I was thinking of Nellr Moser as one but the other has me stomped. I have been thinking of Florida Seiboldi, Rooguchi, Betty Corning, Comtesse de Bouchaud..any ideas? Opinions??

Thanks

Mari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which clems to combine with a white rose?

I like softer shades, pastels, with white. Betty Corning and a soft pink around a white rose sounds good to me.

o

I would ditch any of the type IIs in the hotter climates. They tend to do miserable for me here in NC so I can't imagine how they would do in zone 10 Florida. I personally would like a darker shade with a white rose but that is just me. I would go with Etoile Violette or Polish Spirit. If I had to choose between the ones you listed, I too would choose Betty Corning because of her vigor and fragrance.

o

How about Niobe, Sunset, or Etoile Violette? All are bold, and a great contrast to the white roses. I think they are for your zone 10 too.

kentstar

o

I have The President growing with Souvenir de la Malmaiso on a umbrella trellis and it's amazing.
Arlene

o

Viticella venosa violacea, with it's white markings would be gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: VVV

o

thanks all!! I currently have Polish Spirit growing with Dublin Bar=y (red) and Niobe is with Graham Thomas (yellow). I have EV awaiting a new home and forgot to mention Perle d Azure also waiting.

Mari

o

Rooguchi. Mine blooms from spring until fall.

Carol

o

Thanks Carol..my baby R blooms pretty well.

Hi there btw :)

Mari

o

Hi Mari, I haven't yet been able to grow Rooguchi but I like the idea of Betty Corning. Prosperity should cluster beautifully with the blue flowers floating through. I have Betty Corning growing with Mme. Alfred Carriere and it's lovely, but definitely not a high-contrast look. I'd think that Polish Spirit and The President are too vigorous for the hybrid musk, but I like the idea of high contrast, especially if you're going for a smaller flower than the rose blooms. I think Carole may be right on with Rooguchi. Would love to see pictures when they mature.

YMMV but I found that Nelly Moser looked really muddy near pink or white.

o

Thanks Suze...I hadnt thought of the muddy thing!!Hmmmmm.

Lovely pic btw..I love MAC..still trying to grow it here but mine took a round up hit..wahh

Mari

o

POLISH Pride gets my vote too. It's such a nice deep violet - also, a plus is it is pointed, which is the opposite of the rounded ruffly petals of a rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here