Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

This will be our Cicada year here in the South

sandyl
13 years ago

This year here in the south will be the 13 year Cicada / Locusts year for us, and this will be my first time dealing with the Cicadas since I became a Clematis fan about 8 years ago. I recall 13 years ago when the Cicadas hatched here and OMG they were everywhere and when they would hatch out during the evening and night and climb up every tree and shrub I have, they even climbed up the side of the house by the thousands and the mess they leave after they shedd out of their shell's, well I am thinking ahead and asking how you all that live in the south protect your Clematis from them. I don't think the Cicadas will do to much damage to the clematis's foliage by eating them but I might be worng, the problem I for see is them climbing up the foliage to shed their old shell's and my 20 plus pretty clematis's are them covered with the old Cicada shells. I am hoping someone know's of something that could possibly be sprayed on the Clematis's right at dust that would maybe make the Cicadas climb eles where and shed their shell's or maybe something that could be sprinkled on the ground that might discourage them from climbing up the Clematis. Last time they hatched 13 years ago I recall seeing 3 to 4 inches deep of the dryed dead shells at the base of many tree's in and around my yard. I know the Cicadas wait to emerge from the ground at night when its cool to tranform into the flying insect they become after they hatch out. They only live to mate and then die within a couple days from hatching.

Comments (7)

• julieiwuc
    13 years ago

It sounds so terrible. I have never experienced this where I live but in 2002 we went on a long roadtrip and up in Canada, somewhere near Calgary but closer to the US border there were thousands or millions of grasshoppers; splatting on the windshield and every inch of ground was covered with them. I can't imagine that in my garden.
    Julie in So. Calif.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I remember my first trip to the midwest to meet my husband's family. We were driving across country and it was somewhere in Nebraska that I started hearing this incredibly loud insect noise. We don't have insects like that in the PNW :-)) And then to see these enormous bugs flying around.....it was more than a little terrifying for someone who is only used to a few slugs in the way of garden pests. I can't imagine having to live with that on a regular basis! And that noise would drive me bats!!

But they also had fireflies, which is another insect we don't have in the NW. And they were kind of enchanting, so I guess one takes the good with the bad.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

We have a few here but not many. I first heard one in my yard a couple years ago and even found it to show my husband.

I grew up in Phoenix where we had loads of them though not Biblical hoards.

I don't recall them every bothering plants. I remember finding the husks on tree bark and stucco walls but nothing harmed by them.

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

We had it when my oldest was a baby. I figured it would happen again when he was in high school. I thought it was 17 years.

It was so disgusting, I didn't want to leave the house. I hate bugs in general. Think HORROR MOVIE.

• Bamatufa
    13 years ago

I loved collecting the husks when I was little. Still I will find them and hook them to my shirt to get a reaction from people.However, they have not been that bad down here although you know they are around in the summer time.They are loud!

• Bamatufa
    13 years ago

I loved collecting the husks when I was little. Still I will find them and hook them to my shirt to get a reaction from people.However, they have not been that bad down here although you know they are around in the summer time.They are loud!

• tepelus
    13 years ago

When cicadas emerge from the ground, they do not eat. They have no mouth parts when they pupate into adults, therefore your plants won't get eaten. Their only purpose when they emerge and cast off their skeletons is to breed and die. Once they've molted, they only have a few days to do the deed before they die.

Karen