Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to kill a clematis

Posted by toriree 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 11:36

I have a super grower Sweet Autumn Clematis that is now in a place where I cannot have vines. It is in a pet enclosure so I need to be able to get rid of it without harming my pets. I had it covered with black plastic all winter, but it is vigorous in it's desire to "spring up". I wonder if I use Roundup and keep the pets out of the area for a day if it will be safe.
It sprouts up everywhere and I have had a hard time keeping it under control. I love the fragrance though and have one planted and growing in another area.
Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to kill a clematis

Any chance before you kill it, I get could a piece? I will pay the postage. You should be able to get rid of it with roundup, that stuff kills some pretty tough weeds. Thanks, Janet

o

The easiest (and safest) way to get rid of it is to dig it up. If established in that location for very long, it will have a pretty decent root system but digging up as much as you can and completely severing any large roots you can't remove should do the trick.

You can also try cutting off the stem at close to ground level and painting the cut stem with full strength RoundUp, but the plant has to be in active growth mode for RU to be effective.

o
RE:did I kill my clematis plant?

if anyone knows about severe pruning of a clematis vine, please let me know, I have asked but I am not sure how to check where to find an answer on the forum, I recently became a member of Gardenweb.com, and still trying to learn how to navigate the site. I have a clematis (at my "new" house) that I believe has been established for awhile and I chopped it down to the woody trunks this passed fall. It was very full of big white flowers last June. I fear I may have killed it because I do not see any new growth coming from the bottom. I live in Holley, New York and it has been a long winter. From what I have read on the net, I think I was supposed to wait until February to prune. Please let me know what information or "hope" you can offer. Thank You so very much for your help.......clematis newbie....

o

I've found that it's pretty hard to kill a clematis, unless it's by shading it out, and even harder to kill an established one, so I'd be surprised if you killed it. Generally, they take very well to pruning, and come back bigger and better for it. I live in northern Vermont and we've also had a long winter. I checked my clems a few days ago and can see no signs of growth on any of them, so I wouldn't worry at all about it.

o

Dan, you should start your own thread. I'm sure you did not kill it. Hard pruning rejuvenates them, doesn't kill them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here