Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis on copper trellis

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 12:04

I've got a plan to make a trellis using copper pipe material. Is there anything about growing on copper that would hurt a clematis?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis on copper trellis

Nope! What leaches or oxidizes off the trellis will not be enough to harm the plants. I had a gorgeous copper arbor in my old garden that I grew clems on, one on either side. Never any difficulties or problems. I sold it when I moved......now I wish I still had it, as there are not enough places in my new garden for all the clems I want to grow.

Copper is a basic plant nutrient - it is only toxic when in very high concentrations. Not anything that would be generated by the oxidation of a copper trellis.

o

My husband made a copper trellis last spring for my Betty Corning with no problems. He's gradually planning on replacing all our wooden trellises with copper ones.

o

Thanks! I'll forge ahead.

Schifferle - Did your husband find a pattern or plan or did he just make up his own?

o

I got the book, "Trellis Craft: How to Make Your Own Copper Pipe Garden Ornaments by Roger A. Beebe" for him from Beebe's website: http://www.trelliscraft.com/ You can also buy it for slightly less on Amazon.com. It's a great book with complete how-to instructions and lots and lots of design ideas. In the rose forum, someone asked about trellises and someone commented that copper has sometimes been stolen in cities to sell for scrap. I've heard of that happening, but it has never happened to me even though my home is in a small city. I & my husband built several copper and wooden signs a couple years ago for an herb garden next to an historical building in the city nearby. No problems with theft.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here