Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Question

Posted by blondiesc SC ZONE 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 12:19

I get so confused about pruning clematis. I know that alot depends on the type. I have several types 2's and 3's. My question is ---- when the pruning instructions refer to pruning above the leaf buds, is that on old wood? Or do I wait until new growth (which I'm seeing now) and prune it? Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Question

You can wait until you see the new growth if you want to. How old are these Clematis? ALL Clematis benefit from being pruned as 3s the first few years. You won't hurt 2s to prune as 3s.

for 3s you want to prune just above the lowest new growth or you can just whack them off at a foot tall which is what I do. They sprout out from the vines and up from the crown.

o

Thank you for the information. That does help. Most of mine are 2 - 3 years old. I have Roogchi, Claire De Lune, Crispa, Multi Blue, Petit Faucun, HF Young. I also have Henryi and it is about 5 years old.

o

If you did not prune them as 3s at first you can do so now to encourage more vines. 2s tend to get scraggly left on their own. Rooguchi and Petit Faucon are 3s anyway. It took Petit Faucon five years to get going for me but it is WOW now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here