Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milorganite for rabbits?

Posted by butterclem z6 W.PA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 12:26

Hi,

Something -- I'm pretty sure it was a rabbit -- ate some bark off my heptacodium last night. I figure the clematises and daylilies will be next. I've heard that milorganite will keep them away (if you're lucky). But I wonder about the effect of this nitrogen product on the clematises? It will be time to start feeding them rose food in about another month. I could stop the milorganite then, hoping the bunnies have found more appropriate sources of food, but the clematises would already have received nitrogen from the milorganite. Would this be a problem?

Would I be bettr off sticking with a stinky deer-off spray product?

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milorganite for rabbits?

Sorry about the damage to your heptacodium Pat. Milorganite, and I have never used it just seen it and read about it, is an organic type fertilizer produced from sewer sludge and as such the nitrogen shouldn't be a fast release so shouldn't be an issue with your clematis. As to whether that will keep rabbits or whatever might be doing the damage away from your plants, I don't know if that is one of its attributes or not. Typically for those clematis that I have issues with rabbits biting the stems, I have simply made cages out of plastic or metal fencing that are about 1 to 2 feet tall and caged the clematis to keep the rabbits away from the stems.

Here is an example of such a clematis protected.

o

Miguel, I was afraid you or someone would say I needed to cage! I've always gotten away without caging or indeed any sort of animal protection. But apparently that won't happen this year. Do you take the cages off at some point in the summer?

o

I personally don't take them off but it may be that later in the summer there are other things to eat and they won't bother the clematis. Besides that I am way too lazy to put them up and then take them down only to put them back up again! LOL

o

Ah, but you have a mature, lush garden where cages don't show. I'm not there yet. I just deposited little piles of milorganite all around the garden, especially near the clematises, daylilies, fothergilla, serviceberry, and heptacodium. We'll see what happens. While I was wandering around, I found two of my more mature clematises already putting out buds all over the place, so I pruned them. Nothing else is ready yet, but I guess it's time for the daily walk with pruners -- a little early this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here