Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol23_gw

Miguel

carol23_gw
14 years ago

Sadly, Miguel passed away suddenly earlier this week at his home. It has been a complete shock. Just some days ago he was posting here.

He was a good friend and a sharing plantsman with his knowledge of Clematis. He grew so many cultivars and shared his pictures and expertise with all.

Should anyone wish to extend condolences to his family, please email me through Gardenweb to link to the funeral home to sign the guest book.

Service is this afternoon.

Carol

Comments (58)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

The clematis forum here will never quite be the same without Miguel's frequent contributions. We could always count upon the knowledge and assistance he so freely provided to all ... you'll be missed Miguel!

Terry

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Oh no, this is terrible news. He will be greatly missed. I'm so sorry to read this. The Clematis forum will surely never be the same without him. :( My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

Though I've posted this on Gardenbuddies, I'm saddened as well to hear about Miguel and will miss his posts here.

• jackie_o
    14 years ago

I haven't been to Gardenweb in ages and thought I'd check in with Miguel. What a shock and I'm so sad to hear this news. He was a wonderful guy. Rest in peace Miguel.

{{gwi:577601}}

• Hepatica
    14 years ago

I'm so shocked, and very very sad to hear the news.

I have enjoyed his posts and pictures and I was always looking forward to reading what he had to say.

We will remember Miguel and will miss him here.

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, and in particular to those who signed the guestbook. It means a lot to the family that Miguel will be remembered and that he touched so many lives in such a positive and helpful way.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I signed. My real name is LeeAnne. :)

While I have never met many people from Garden Web like I have from American Ponders I've enjoyed online friendships with so many people. I am glad you let us know about Miguel, he would have been missed before too much time had passed but it made me feel better to be able to post on his guestbook.

This forum sure is going to miss him. I'm sure he contributed to others here too but I only "knew" him from here. Wish I had saved some of his photos....He had such great ideas for supports for Clematis.

• carol_se_pa_6
    14 years ago

Miguel will be sorely missed by all of us. I don't post here often but I was always impressed with Miguel's knowledge and willingness to share with all of us. May he rest in peace with a clematis nearby.

• julieiwuc
    14 years ago

I too am shocked at the sad news. I am relatively new to the forum and always loved reading his replies to most posts. I will have to plant a clemmie in his honor.

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

Julie, I think planting a clematis in his honour would be a very fitting tribute to him. A lovely idea.
    Judith

• chills71
    14 years ago

I've got a lump in my throat as I read this. I can't believe he's gone. I hope it was quick and painless.

There are posters on many of these forums whose opinions I trust implicitly, without ever having met them. Miguel was one of those people.

~Chills

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    14 years ago

I read more than I post, but Miguel will surely be missed here. I'm so sorry.

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

I am shocked and saddened by this news. I'll miss the beautiful pictures of his amazing clematis collection. Anytime you had a clematis question, Miguel was always there to answer it. He was very informative and always kind in his response. He will definitely be missed!

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Just checked in after a very long absence and am so sad to hear that Miguel has died. My heart goes out to his family. May flights of angels guide him to his rest.

• butterclem
    14 years ago

I share everyone else's shock. I have been trading messges back and forth with Miguel the past three years. He has been an important part of every clematis I have planted and cared for. He was so unbelievably generous with his time and expertise. I cannot believe he's gone.

• pump_toad
    14 years ago

I am also saddened by the news. I didn't post often but when I asked a question he was there with a answer. He had so much knowledge and was so willing to share it.

• rosethyme
    14 years ago

I am so sad to hear this. I just checked in to see what Miquel had to say about clematis for this season. Such a terrible loss of a wonderful, caring person. I received very helpful advice from him over the years. Please add my deepest condolences.

Karen

• grow_darnit
    14 years ago

How sad! And a complete shock. You could always count on Miguel's help, advice and reassurance. What a great man, he will be missed here. Sad.
    Grow

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Miguel, you will be missed, you were such a generous and caring person, and you knew everything!! I am taking your advice and getting some of the native bells for the bee garden! Thanks!
    -B

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I just devoted a 4X15 foot area of my garden to Miguel..I planted 15 clematis and named this my Miguel Memorial Garden..he will always have a place in my gardens and in my heart...Jeanne

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

Jeanne, what a lovely thing to do! I'm sure he is smiling up in heaven.
    Judith

• gaylek
    14 years ago

Jeanne that is wonderful what you are doing. I have several different clematis as well as other plants that Miguel introduced me too. He was so nice to share his knowledge with everyone! And shared such beautiful pictures.
    I do hope someone will be taking care of all his beautiful clematis!
    I always think of him when the Helebore's bloom....which they have been blooming the past few weeks!Must be in his honor. Today I noticed that the Rothchild lilies (can't remember the full name right now) are coming up! They multiply and are so pretty. And then the clematis that he introduced me too are too numerous to name.
    Yes, he will be missed!
    Gayle

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I am in disbelief. My computer has been out of commission for the past week or so, and I am just shocked to log on and hear this news.

My heart goes out to his family. Miguel was a wonderful soul. He will be dearly missed.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Gayle..how he loved Helebores..did you know he gave me directions on how to plant my very first clematis.."Fireworks" that I got from Dan Long?..I thought I had lost it this year and was crying and jumping for joy all at the same time yesterday when I saw vines emerging from the soil..he is now my personal Angel watching over..emergence of this one clematis to me was a sign of his devotion and love!!..I miss him so especially with Easter coming knowing I'll never ever receive a loverly card from him again!!..Jeanne

• gaylek
    14 years ago

Jeane Miguel also taught me how to plant and grow clematis! He was so patient with my newby questions! Ironic I just planted Fireworks this past fall! And all the clematis have thus far survived the winter! All here have new growth. Spring is here even if it is cool at times! There are soo many memories of Miguel all around! He will always be with us through the blessings he shared with us!

• robarba
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a link to his obit? If so, I'd really appreciate getting it. I've looked up some of his contributions. "Wow" is an understatement. Seems like quite a guy. Thank you.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I had no idea he grew Hellebores too. I've rarely visited that forum even though I grow them.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Oh no... I have not been here for some time... Such terrible news.. I was thinking about Miguel yesterday while planting a new Clematis and pruning others..

I saw Eucomis bulbs a couple of weeks ago at Costco. Instantly, I recalled a picture of Miguel's beautiful garden. Sure enough, I bought the bulbs...

He was a kind angel of this forum. I can't count how many times he helped me... So, so sad...

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

I just got back from a trip to New Zealand, full of anticipation of my arriving orders of clems and full of questions for Miguel. He was the 'go to' guy, I cant believe he wont be here any more. God Bless and Keep you, Miguel. I will miss your good guidance and will think of you when the clems bloom. P.S. Say hi to my mom, would you!
    Kat

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Every clem growing in my garden is a tribute. I just discovered Hellebores last year. RIP. What a loss! Let him live on in our gardens.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

I came here today looking for Miguel to ask him about Helios, I had no idea he was gone and when I read this I felt sick. He was a kind, knowledgable man and a good friend. He will be missed. So sad. I have so many clematis that I wouldn't have because of him and I love them all. Rest in peace, dear Miguel. You certainly live on in my garden.

Carol

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Carolfm, I grow Helios.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

click on Obituaries and search Miguel Viso

Here is a link that might be useful: obituary

• julieiwuc
    14 years ago

Does anyone know how he died? Did he have an illness? From this end , his death seemed so sudden. Also, does anyone have a photo of Miguel? My search on the web comes up with photos of clematis that he has taken, but not of him.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

I don't know the particulars but his pic is on Brushwood's facebook page where he posted to Dan...Jeanne

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I too am so sorry to learn of Miguel's death -- this forum and gardens in real life will be the sorrier for his loss. He was always so giving in knowledge, advice, and never a criticism of any kind - and photos - amazing. I hope somehow his family is able to arrange for perpetuity of his clems in some fashion.

--chloehoover

• twotzus
    13 years ago

Oh I am so sorry to read this! Miguel was such a great resource and inspiration for me when I first became interested in and growing clematis 6 or 7 years ago. He was one of the first to encourage those of us in warmer zones to grow clematis and I did! So strange in a way that someone I never met had such an impact on the garden I grow. I hope if his family and friends read here that they take some comfort in knowing that even though most of us never met Miguel in person, he most certainly made an impact in our gardens. RIP, Miguel.

Eternal rest, grant unto them, O Lord,
    and let perpetual light shine upon them.
    Amen.

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I just checked into this forum for the first time this year and the first thing I did was scan for any threads posted by Miguel. I was so sorry to read this. What a loss... not only for his family and friends, but for all of us who were inspired by him through these forums where he shared so much. Every time I have posted a question, Miguel has answered with helpful advice. I learned so much from his contributions to this forum and so enjoyed his photos. I'm so sad for his family. He will be missed for sure.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Miguel's Facebook page is still up, I never thought to look for Gardenweb "friends" on Facebook but it is nice to see his picture even though he is no longer with us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook

• Ratherbgardening
    13 years ago

I just saw this. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing and will miss his expertise. His posts are easy to find on thegardenforums.org My prayers go out to his loved ones.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Its my first visit of the spring. This is such sad news. Miguel was the kindest and most helpful person I've met on the forums.

May he rest forever in peace in a field of blooming clematis.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I am just stunned. Miquel is the one who recommended the type 3 clems as being very easy care. I bought Harlow Carr because of him and it is budded out now. I will always remember him when the clems bloom.

He will be sadly missed. What a kind and knowledgeable person he was!

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I vaguely remember Miguel commenting on a health issue. How very sad to hear that he is gone.

• LindaMA
    13 years ago

Oh no, I haven't been on the Clematis forum for a few months and logged on today to ask Miguel a couple of questions, how awrful to read this, I'm speechless, I wasn't aware he was even ill.

He helped out so many people with his knowlege and he had such a wonderful personality. He will be sorely missed.

God bless Miguel.

~Linda

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

His Facebook page is now offline.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I am very sorry that I didn't have the pleasure and opportunity to know of his postings here and be a recipedent of his knowledge. Is any of his postings still available? What was his usename? I am not a regular on the clematis forum so don't know if he shared his knowledge with me or not.
    With all these condolences, he must have been a wonderful person to have touched so many lives along the way. May he rest in peace!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Miguel's online name was nckvilledudes. If you do a search of this forum under that name, dozens of his posts will turn up. He may not still be with us, but his posts and his knowledge lives on :-) And Dan at Brushwood has introduced a new clematis, 'Miguel', in his honor for all the many contributions he made here and to all clematis lovers.

I considered him one of my best online gardening buddies. He is still very much missed.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

GG..me too...I just bought Dan's Memoriam clematis for him Clematis "Miguel Viso"

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I also miss Miguel and his counsel and appreciate those who continue to share their knowledge and joy of growing these beautiful plants. I look forward to the day when we all post our photos of "Miguel Viso" in bloom.