Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbench_gw

Any shade tolerant Clematis?

gardenbench
14 years ago

Most of the spots around my yard that would provide a good support/trellis for Clematis receive a bit more shade than seems good for many Clematis varieties. Can anyone suggest varieties that tend to do well in more shady spots like these?

Comments (23)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Clair de Lune supposedly likes a bit more shade than other clematis--to protect its delicate whitish/lavender colors, I believe. Mine isn't old enough for me to say for sure--but that was what the nursery description said.

Of course, it might depend on how much shade you are talking about. I suspect most clematis (maybe all of them, for that matter) do not like heavy or continual shade.

Kate

• nancy_l_rogers
    14 years ago

This is season #2 for my Clair de Lune. It gets full sun until about early May and then it is in dense shade. It bloomed its first season and has put out vigorous leaves already this season, which is early in my zone.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

You might find this article of value for your quest to grow clematis in shadier areas...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis for the shade

• rootygirl
    14 years ago

The shade article that jeanne posted is very helpful. I consulted it before I picked a clem for my partly shady wall. I found venosa violacea at a local nursery and I was excited because that one is hard to find around here.
    I do not have a lot of experience with clematis, but I am really excited to see what it does this year.(It is a tiny baby right now).

• cweathersby
    14 years ago

I've got clems in complete shade that bloom well every spring. They won't REbloom, not even if cut back and fertilized.
    I've got other clems climbing through fruit trees, which means they are shaded for much of the day, but they often will rebloom when cut back and fertilizer is added.
    I think it's a matter of how much shade.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have moved some from sun to partial shade because their flower faded badly. Hagley Hybrid, Richard Pennell are two that I moved.

I have Charissima and John Warren in partial shade. They have not done well but I blame that on the planting hole which we had to chip out of neighbor's tree roots and clay. They've just sat there. I should have made DH dig bigger holes....

I think most of the pinks like Nelly Moser need some afternoon shade or they bleach to white.

• schifferle
    14 years ago

Chalk Hill recommendations for Partial-Shade Clematis:

Most clematis require at least a 1/2 day of sun or strong filtered light to bloom well. Gardeners living in warm weather states such as California that have very long growing seasons and very hot temperatures can plant most clematis in a partial shade aspect. However, those living in colder climates with a shorter growing season need to adhere more closely to the following recommendations. The varieties below are only some suggestions and by no means represents all the varieties that can be grown in partial shade.

Alabast
    alpina cultivars
    Andromeda
    Asao
    Bees Jubilee
    Bella
    Blue Gem
    The Bride
    Carnaby
    cartmanii Joe
    Comtesse de Bouchaud
    C.W. Dowman
    Daniel Deronda
    Dawn
    Dr. Ruppel
    Edith
    Elsa Spath
    florida Plena
    florida Sieboldiana
    forsteri
    General Sikorski
    Hakuba
    Henryi
    H.F. Young
    John Warren
    x jouiniana Praecox
    Ken Donson
    Lady Northcliffe
    Lasurstern
    Lemon Chiffon
    Lilactime
    macropetala cultivars
    Marie Boisselot
    Masquerade
    montana cultivars
    Moonlight
    Mrs. Cholmondeley
    Multi-Blue
    Nelly Moser
    Peveril Pearl
    Pink Cameo
    Pink Fantasy
    Roko Kolla
    Silver Moon
    Souvenir du Capitaine Thuilleaux
    Special Ocassion
    Twilight
    Victoria
    Viticella cultivars
    Will Goodwin

I have Pink Fantasy in partial shade and it blooms well.

• eastautumn
    14 years ago

I have Comtesse de Bouchaud and Daniel Deronda in between my house and garage, and area that is only 8 feet wide so doesn't get much sun. They bloomed well for me last year and have only been in the ground a couple years. I have Ramona in a north facing area and it's done well also.

• cohouser
    14 years ago

Almondstriations, your info about Ramona is just what I've been hoping for, as I have a north location I'd love to plant one in. Some sources say it needs full sun to bloom well. How long has yours been in your north-facing area?

• madgardenr
    13 years ago

I have grown 'Dawn' on my north-facing front wall for several years - behind a large Pieris, no less - and it blooms reliably and beautifully for me. I used to grow 'Silver Moon' in another shady spot and it did well until it mysteriously died out. See the 'Macro' section of my website for photos of 'Dawn'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis 'Dawn'

• Cat
    6 years ago

this post is really old but its still a relevant subject - which ones will grow north facing in zone 6 - against a wall and in a microclimate - in other words: protected - not out in the cold wind. I need one that's a climber to top my rose trellis. Any ideas especially a lighter color? Both roses climbing at each side are red - so white or silvery or even lavender would be better than more red.

• gardenpictures
    6 years ago

3/4 of the day in full shade, then for a couple of hours in afternoon heat: Photo

Keep the "foot" safe from frost damage and overheating (i.e. by covering it with roofing tiles) - they are tree-climbing plants after all and therefore can deal with shade (at least their grandmas had to).

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Starchild, I have found it better to avoid white or really pale summer blooming clematis in my garden. I have Japanese beetles, Asian beetles, and rose chafers, all of which seem particularly attracted to the pale Clem flowers, so now I only get pale ones if they bloom before the beetles emerge in July. Just one more consideration to include if you are in an area with J. Beetles. I don't have many planted in shade because they don't bloom as well for me so I can't much help with specific suggestions.

• Cat
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Add to that shade tolerant Zone 6 please that gets big? Is it Jackmannii? Is that the only one? I'm weaving it into a climbing rose that's not that thick, it's gotta form the top of the arbor. Also I don't use metal and here's why - my plant people who prune for me told me, when it gets cold in winter, metal conveys cold worse than anything there is. You will literally freeze your plants and possibly kill them, so stop using metal stakes or metal posts or arbors. So I did. Now I'm using wood or teepees. (tipis?) whatever. So both roses at each end, need a shady clematis North facing bright shade gotta get real tall. Something other than Jackmanni has to do this. I will use that if I have to, but really only one? The odd thing is, it's the same color as the roses so maybe I'm supposed to use that one. It will look just like the roses went up there, may be cool. Was just hoping for some white to glimmer at night in moonlight

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

More than half of my clematis grow on metal - cold in winter, hot in summer sun, and there isn't any issue at all for the plants, even the ones that get more than 12 hours of sun midsummer. I don't know if it's an issue for other plants (climbing roses don't usually overwinter above the snow line in my zone), but it certainly isn't a problem for clematis vines. There will be more of an issue for clematis that are trying to grab a too-thick structure. They grab to climb by twisting the leaf stems (petioles) around supports, so anything thicker than a pencil may not work.

• Cat
    6 years ago

I never prune back my clematis - it just grows into the brown vines left. I never had a problem until I planted them on the West side of the pergola and their roots got too hot. I planted sedum there now, since it has shallow roots, can take burning hot sun, and looks pretty. It's a creeping sedum indigenous to this zone/area. Just a thought. We're also getting puppies and I'm going to have to find some willow branches and start building willow fences everywhere. (that thought isn't connected to the other one) Thank you very much.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Clematis will bloom and grow uneventfully without pruning, but most tend to look tidier and bloom either more prolifically or more at eye level (rather than up mostly up near vine ends) if they are pruned. The exceptions would be if they are one of the species that prefers no pruning (type 1).

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

All Clematis Alpina and Macrophylla I've tried grow and bloom well in shade. Willy is one of the largest flowered. Constance most persistently rebloomed. For larger flowered types Jackmanii, Polish Spirit, Silver Moon, Nelly Moser, Warsaw Nike, Proteus, and Niobe have been highly reliable bloomers in shady conditions for me.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Polish Spirit hasn't done well for me in about 3 hours of sun.

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Supposedly Samaritan Jo is shade tolerant. Pale Lavender.

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Samaritan Jo is also a compact. Consider Omoshiro from Japan too. Also supposed to be shade tolerant.

Thorncroft in UK has extensive experience and 52 Clematis listed in their category.

Shade Tolerant Clematis - Thorncroft Clematis Ltd: Chelsea Gold Medal Winning Clematis Nursery https://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/quick-selection-lists/shadetolerant.html

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Brushwood has a list of their shade tolerant varieties. Also I think Bernadine is better in shade. But that could be due to it's pale color.