Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I prune these two now?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 13:53

Is now the time to prune these down to new growth from soil level? Arctic Queen and Confetti.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I kill my clematis?

Please Help!!!! I pruned the clematis vine in my yard during the fall, all the way down to the woody trunks. I think I may have killed the plant for I do not see any new "sign" of growth. I moved into my house last April and do not know the exact species of clematis or how long it has been planted. I do know that last June it was full of beautiful white flowers and very healthy. I thought it was ok to prune it from what I have read on the net. Did I kill the plant or is it just not time to see new growth. I live in Holley, New York. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. Danielle

o
RE: Do I prune these two now?

Why would you post this in my thread? Why not start your own?

o

Confetti is a group 3, so you can prune it to about 12" from ground level now, but Arctic Queen is a group 2, so that should be pruned back to new growth if you want early flowers. Clematis on the Web has a page about pruning each type of clematis.

o

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to bookmark that site.

o

If your Arctic Queen is newly planted in the last couple of years you should prune it hard too. It will help it get off to a good start with more vines up from the crown.

You cannot kill a Clematis by pruning it at at the wrong time or too hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here